Thu | Feb 22, 2018

Weed woes! - A personal account of trouble with edible ganja products

Published:Sunday | May 28, 2017 | 12:00 AM
A sample of the candy laced with ganja that is being sold to some students in Jamaica’s schools.

A couple who reportedly had edible ganja products at a recent festival in Negril shared their story with the National Council on Drug Abuse recently.

Here are edited excerpts from the woman's claims.

"... We came upon the last booth on the right, the rep was a Caucasian guy with neon green coloured hair. I recall asking him about one of his products that resembled a small coffee bean; it was in a jar by itself.

"We then asked for a sample of the brownie and the velvet cupcake ... . My hubby had the velvet cake and I had the brownie. We consumed both, respectively, minutes after 4 p.m. that Saturday.

"After driving for 15-20 minutes in search for parking and a further 10 minutes sitting under a tent, I began to feel dizzy and my spouse was unknowingly drifting towards the busy street. I asked him how he felt, he said fine, just a little drowsy. I recall one guy giving a presentation on marijuana capsule tablets.

"I remember confessing to my spouse that I did not hear a word he said. Both of us got up, and immediately it felt like the planet fell off its axis and started spinning out of control.

"I recall feeling nauseous and the place around me getting darker. In the midst of my dilemma my spouse recommended that we get another brownie and a bottle of water and leave.

"I remember telling him that we are not in a state to drive home and it is best for us to sit under the tent for a while. The last thing I recall from that conversation was when I began laughing uncontrollably.

"After that it was total darkness, except for the intervals where I was vomiting or urinating on myself, or the brief moments where I regained consciousness. At one point I thought I was dead as I could see a version of me looking down at my body, slumped over vomit in another.

"I felt like I was trying to get back inside my body. I remember waking up for a brief second to see a young man over me. He placed something on my finger and then I was gone again.

"I woke another time to see my spouse lying face down on the grass. I recall asking him if he was OK. Not sure what the response was but in a split second I was out again.

"I think we were out for approximately three hours as it was after 9 p.m. when I fully regained consciousness. Luckily, we had Good Samaritans who decided to take us home as my hubby was in no state to drive."