Sun | Sep 23, 2018

Ask the Doc | Practise living within your means

Published:Tuesday | June 13, 2017 | 12:00 AM

Q: I am afraid to go and see a counsellor or psychologist because of the high fees. Can you tell me how much it would cost for me to get counselling. I am 19 years old.

A: It will depend on the psychologist or counsellor. Most private practitioners use a sliding scale. That is, they will look at your earnings and decide how much to charge you. It is important that you call or ask about the costs and if you cannot afford it, always ask if there is a free counselling service available close to you. Many churches offer free services at varying times throughout the week.2

Q: I am going to help my friend's son start a business. I am going through a lawyer and ask that he gets counselling as a part of the deal as he is soon to be married. They think the counselling recommendation is harsh. I am doing it so he realises I am serious. What do you think?

A: Premarital counselling will help him in handling the finances of his home and the business. You are doing a great favour in encouraging this positive plan.

Q: My niece is going to attend a banquet and her new boyfriend want s to go with her. She has budgeted for this and he cannot afford his own ticket. Should she pay for his?

A: It is very important at the beginning of a relationship that both persons practise living within their means. If he cannot afford it he must simply wait until another time when he can afford it.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always.