Sat | Sep 23, 2017

Man isolated, blood sample sent for further Cholera testing

Published:Saturday | June 17, 2017 | 6:13 AM

The Health Ministry is reporting that the bacteria that has left a man hospitalised since last week is not consistent with Cholera.

According to Chief Medical Officer Dr Winston De La Haye, preliminary investigations have indicated that the bacteria is a form of Vibrio Cholerae.

In a statement today, De La Hay revealed that the man was re-admitted to hospital with a fever last Friday following recent bowel surgery.

He says routine investigations later identified a bacteria in his blood. 
 
The Chief Medical Officer says a sample has been sent to the Caribbean Public Health Agency for further testing. 

He says as a precautionary measure, the man has been isolated and is receiving appropriate medical treatment. 

De La Hay says the man’s vital signs are well and are being monitored.