Wed | Oct 17, 2018

Cops released after arrest for tardiness

Published:Monday | June 19, 2017 | 12:00 AM

Three cops who were arrested last week on warrants ordered by a judge, because of their tardiness in completing case files for court, were released from custody on Friday.

Among them was Sergeant Kevin Mayne, who, according to Senior Parish Court Judge Simone Wolfe Reece, has other outstanding arrest warrants.

Wolfe Reece noted, too, that the warrant for his arrest was attached to a letter that was sent to the Office of the Police Commissioner.

Corporal Ramon Blair, who spent two days in custody, and Constable Shawana Walker-Thompson, who was in custody for a day, were the other cops freed.

"Too many matters come before the court and all that is outstanding is a statement from the police. Foolishness. Absolute foolish-ness," Wolfe Reece lamented before ordering their release.

"Until we meet again," she told Mayne.

Wolfe Reece said she understood the challenges facing police personnel, but urged them to be proactive and communicate in a timely manner with the court office.

Mayne is the investigating officer in a fraud case against two men that have been before the courts for more than a year. The trial has been stalled because of an outstanding statement from Scotiabank.


Missed court dates


According to court records, Mayne has missed several court dates and has failed to indicate what steps he has taken to collect the statement and when it will be obtained.

His attorney, Valerie Neita-Robertson, informed the court that he has been ill and that the liaison officer failed to inform him of the new court date.

Blair is the investigator in a case against Krisann Petgrave, who is charged for larceny as a servant. Petgrave's attorney, Courtney Rowe, said she was allegedly caught on a security camera stealing money from the cosmetic store where she was employed.




Rowe said the case has been adjourned eight times as a report from the Jamaica Constabulary Force's cybercrimes unit, which Corporal Blair promised to deliver last November, remains outstanding.

Walker-Thompson, who is the investigating officer in a fraud case, was bound over when she last appeared in court to collect several subpoenas for witnesses. However, court records show that she has failed to indicate whether the subpoenas had been served.

Neita-Robertson, who also represented Walker-Thompson, said the constable got the dates mixed up because of the "pressures of work.

"It was an error on her part and she takes full responsibility for it. She apologises and undertake not to let it happen again," Neita-Robertson said.