Thu | Mar 22, 2018

Peter Vogel Murder Trial: Fingerprint report did not implicate suspects

Published:Thursday | June 22, 2017 | 9:12 AM

When the trial of the couple accused of the murder of university lecturer Dr Peter Vogel resumes in the Home Circuit Court this morning, defence attorneys will continue their cross examination of the lead investigator, Deputy Superintendent of Police Webster Francis.

Yesterday, Francis revealed that a fingerprint report he received did not implicate Yanika Scott or her boyfriend, Kelvin Downer.

Vogel's body was found inside the study room at his College Commons, St Andrew house on July 18, 2007 with his mouth gagged, his hands tied behind his back and his feet bound at the ankle.

The trial, which is in its second week, has already heard evidence that both Scott and Downer told police investigators that armed men, wearing masks, entered Vogel's home on the night he was killed.

Retired detective sergeant Adrian Dennie testified earlier this week that Scott told him, during an interview in 2012, that the men forced her and Downer into Dr Vogel's motor vehicle – loaded with some of his personal belongings – and ordered her boyfriend to drive.

Francis testified during cross-examination by Downer's attorney, Diane Jobson, that he requested fingerprint reports for both accused from the Police Criminal Records Office when he visited Dr Vogel's home the morning after his body was found.

"And did you ever get a report?" Jobson questioned. "I got verbal report," the senior investigator responded, before acknowledging that the report did not implicate Scott or Downer.

Jobson noted that Downer was asked a total of 360 questions during a question-and-answer session with investigators on November 21, 2008, but was not formally charged until December 16 that same year.

"Why did it take you three weeks to charge him?" Jobson questioned. "It had to do with the preparation of the file. Following the question-and-answer interview, all these (statements and other) documents had to be submitted to be vetted and the file completed and submitted to the court," Francis replied.

The trial continues today.