Sat | Nov 28, 2020

Immigration Corner | Can I have my application checked?

Published:Monday | August 21, 2017 | 12:00 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

I am the partner of a British citizen, and I would like to have my application for indefinite leave to remain checked before I submit it. I am told that there is a service provided to assist applicants. Will I be able to access it before I arrive there?

- G.A.


Dear G.A.,

There is a settlement-checking service that is provided by local authorities to check UK applications for indefinite leave to remain as the partner of a person who is settled in the UK. This service is not provided outside of the United Kingdom.

Persons can use this service to request a local authority to accept and send the 'SET (M) application' to the Home Office. The local authorities will make sure that the application is correctly completed and will copy and return original documents on the same day. However, they will not be able to give you settlement advice.

When making an appointment, persons must contact a local authority to book an appointment to use this service and they will be able to advise what the appointment times are. Persons can check online where the nearest local authority is that provides this service and how to contact them. There are settlement-checking services in local authorities in: England, particularly Greater London; Scotland; and Wales.

The local authority will tell persons the fee that must be paid to use this service. The applicants will need to take their: original passport, original documents, and a printed copy of their application form. It should be noted that local authorities must be registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner to provide this service and that using this service does not guarantee the success of an application. In addition, the Home Office may contact the applicant for more information after submitting the application.

- John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a Justice of the Peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (U.K.). Email: