Sun | Nov 29, 2020

Ask the Doc | Choosing between her two sons

Published:Monday | September 4, 2017 | 12:00 AM

Q: My sons have been accepted to university and I can only pay for one now. How do I choose which one to send?

A: Congratulations on this wonderful achievement.

I am recommending that you send both of them and have them go part-time together if possible. If this is not possible allow the young men to make the choice.

Q: My son has been diagnosed with autism and I am trying to find a school for him to go to. Where do I find a school for him?

A: There are schools of special education throughout Jamaica. Please contact the Jamaica Association on Intellectual Disabilities at 927-2054 for information.

Q: How do I get my daughter's father to support her? She is doing so well in school and I am a clerk in an office. He gives a small amount but is an accountant who can give more. I do not want to take him to court.

A: Call him or write him explaining his daughter's needs. Have you shared with him her report card?

Please do so. I hope he will support her. If not, please ask the guidance counsellor or your church community to provide support.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to 'Ask the Doc', c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!