'You better be careful'... businessman on assault charge warns girlfriend
Livern Barrett, Senior Gleaner Writer
Attorney-at-law Peter Champagnie has told a corporate area court that despite a protection order, businessman Ian Causwell sent a text message to the woman he's accused of assaulting raising further concern about her safety.
“You had better be careful,” Causwell reportedly texted the woman.
Champagnie made the disclosure during Causwell’s first appearance before the Kingston and St Andrew Parish Court today, five days after the businessman was arrested and charged with assaulting his ex-girlfriend.
The businessman has pleaded not guilty to assaulting the woman, a top corporate executive.
Acting Chief Parish Judge Simone Wolfe Reece, who presided over the hearing, ordered Causwell to surrender his shotgun to the authorities.
In the meantime, the clerk of the courts has indicated that Causwell’s licenced firearm was seized by the police after he was charged with assault on Saturday.
After Champagnie, who is watching the court proceedings on behalf of the woman, told the court that the text message raises more concerns about his client’s safety, the businessman, through his attorney, indicated that the message was taken out of context and was merely making reference to her behaviour.
But Champagnie, in dismissing this assertion, said Causwell should not be contacting his client, given the existence of the interim protection order.
Causwell is scheduled to return to court on October 20.
Last year, his brother, Stephen Causwell, was convicted for killing his former girlfriend, Nadia Mitchell at her Oakland apartment in St Andrew in July 2008.
Stephen is serving a sentence of life in prison and will be eligible for parole after 20 years.