Wed | Nov 22, 2017

Second ZOSO no solution to crime – Jackson

Published:Tuesday | October 17, 2017 | 1:08 PM
Jackson
Police check ID's and search bags, on Tuesday, during the newly ZOSO in Denham Town. – Lionel Rookwood/Photograph
1
2

 Erica Virtue, Senior Gleaner Writer

Fitz Jackson, the recently appointed spokesman on national security for the opposition People's National Party (PNP) has expressed disappointment that Prime Minister Andrew Holness announced another zone of special operations (ZOSO) this morning instead of a comprehensive anti-crime plan.

According to Jackson a second ZOSO it was nothing to brag about at a time when the country’s murder total has already passed 1,200 since the start of this year.

I cannot see how this is something to offer comfort right now given the crime epidemic we have in Jamaica at this time,” Jackson told The Gleaner.

“From the news coverage yesterday I got the impression that the government was going o be announcing a comprehensive crime plan or strategy. Regrettably what we are hearing is more of the same.
 
“The truth of the matter is, the first ZOSO in Montego Bay (Mount Salem, St James) so far is nothing to celebrate in terms of what it has achieved, and what it is seeking to achieve to deal with the national epidemic of crime that we have,” said Jackson.

He argued that the experience of Mount Salem does not warrant declaring another area a special zone.

“The next question that arises is the basis on which this new location is determined. We have to probe the data in terms of what is used to justify it against the background of what has happened with the unreliable and unsubstantiated crime date that was supplied for Mount Salem. 

“So it’s a bit premature for me to comment on this specific aspect until I get a chance to probe the data used to declare the zone,” added Jackson.

Prime Minister Holness, at a press conference this morning, declared Denham Town, in west Kingston, the second ZOSO.