Wed | Nov 22, 2017

​Major cruise lines halt plans to pull out of Falmouth – Bartlett

Published:Friday | October 20, 2017 | 1:19 PM
The Falmouth Cruise Pier, seen here on its first day of doing business in March 2011,
Bartlett
1
2

Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett says the recent hurricanes in the region have halted plans by two popular cruise operators to pull out of Falmouth in Trelawny.

During a tour of the Falmouth cruise ship pier yesterday, Bartlett said Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises have decided to put on hold plans to temporarily pull out of Falmouth due to extensive damage suffered by other popular cruise destinations in the Caribbean.

The Tourism Minister says this has presented an opportunity for tourism stakeholders to fix the problems that were identified as the reasons for the pullout.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises announced earlier this year that they would be revising their itineraries to temporarily exclude Falmouth as a destination for several of their large vessels.

It was later revealed that tourist harassment was a key factor behind the pullout.

The tourism minister said since then access by transport operators to cruise passengers who disembark has been streamlined and craft vendors are now being housed in a temporary craft market close to the port.

Bartlett says another big spin off that has come from the adverse weather systems is that the Falmouth cruise ship pier will be getting 49 additional calls from ships over the next six months.

He says tourism stakeholders will be using the additional business to highlight the attributes of Falmouth so that it remains in the minds for cruise operators and passengers.