Mon | Dec 18, 2017

OCG confirms probe into JUTC contract awarded to Millenium Security Limited

Published:Thursday | October 26, 2017 | 2:10 PM
Dirk Harrison

Contractor General Dirk Harrison has confirmed that his office is probing a controversial contract between the cash-strapped Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) and Millenium Security Limited (MSL).

Harrison says his office has been probing the contract for the past three months after a complaint was filed with his office.

He says the management of the JUTC has so far been asked to submit documents relating to the contract and they have complied.

The contractor general says he has further questions that need answers relating to the contract that was awarded to MSL by the JUTC.

Yesterday, Opposition spokesman on transport, Mikael Phillips, revealed that a JUTC board member had interest in the company that was awarded a $50 million contract by the state-owned bus company.

The contract is reportedly for the provision of property loss and recovery assessment services, accident investigation and damage assessment, disciplinary hearings for all workers and security at all depots and other JUTC properties.

Phillips demanded that the entire board should resign over the matter.

However, in response, the JUTC yesterday refuted that the contract to the company was for $50 million.

It said MSL was engaged on a six-month pilot project.

 

We want to hear from you, email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editor@gleanerjm.com