Mon | Dec 18, 2017

​Henry: OCG probe to determine truth in JUTC-MSL contract issue

Published:Monday | October 30, 2017 | 12:17 PM
Henry says he expects the OCG probe to be swift and thorough.

Transport Minister Mike Henry says a probe by the Office of the Contractor General (OCG) will determine whether claims that the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) awarded a $50 million contract to Millennium Security Limited (MSL) are true.

He says there will be no further comment on the issue by him or the state-owned bus company's management until the OCG probe is complete.

Henry says he expects the OCG probe to be swift and thorough.

In a release issued this morning following an emergency meeting yesterday, Henry said he had full confidence in the Board and management of the JUTC and has instructed them to comply fully with the OCG's probe.

The emergency meeting and the probe by the OCG follow revelations last week by Opposition spokesman on Transport, Mikael Phillips, that the JUTC awarded a $50 million contract to MSL, whose owner is related to a member of the current JUTC Board.

Phillips said the Board and managing director of the JUTC should resign over the matter.

However, the JUTC management has since denied the claim.

It said the services of MSL were engaged for a six-month pilot project aimed at stemming the theft of spare parts, lubricants and oil at its stores.

The JUTC management insisted that at no time did it award a $50 million contract to MSL.