Sat | Aug 24, 2019

Immigration Corner | Truck driver seeking work permit

Published:Tuesday | November 21, 2017 | 12:00 AM
Clipart graphic Worried

Dear Miss Powell,

I am a truck driver and I have a brother in Saskatchewan who wants to help me to move there. He said brothers can't sponsor under the new rules but that with my skills, I may be able to get a work permit, and I could stay with him. Is there a work programme under which I can apply to work there? How can I get to live there permanently with my brother's help?

- JN

Dear JN,

The province of Saskatchewan has a long-haul truck driver programme that allows approved employers to bring individuals to Canada to work within their trucking company/firm. After you have worked for a minimum of six months with the same company and if the employer offers you a permanent position, you could be eligible to apply to become a permanent resident under the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Programme (SINP).


How to qualify


The first step would be to get a job offer from an SINP-approved trucking firm. I do not recommend that you contact employment agencies who charge you money to find a job. Most reputable agencies are paid by employers to help them recruit employees. In fact, most employers in Saskatchewan use and the to help them to find qualified individuals to offer them a job. Therefore, beware employment agencies that charge you money to find you a job.

The SINP helps employers recruit foreign workers. The employers are first screened and given a certificate of registration under the Foreign Worker Recruitment and Immigration Act. You should be mindful to ask your potential employer to provide you with proof of this. An approved employer will have a labour market impact assessment report and job approval letter. An authorised employer will be able to provide this to you. You will need those documents to submit as a part of your application for a work permit. This is also proof that your job offer is legitimate and your employer may be willing to help you to achieve your long-term goals.

Once you have the required documents, you should apply to get a work permit to work for the approved employer. Once you have been in Saskatchewan for a minimum of six months, your next step would be to apply for permanent residence.

Your permanent residence application will require you to provide proof of your education, training and work experience. Therefore, I recommend that you obtain documents to substantiate these factors before your departure.

You will also need to provide proof of your English language competence. The approved proof are evidence of your grades in the IELTS, General Training Examination or the CELPIP, General English language exam. You will be required to have at least Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) four or higher scores. They will be testing you on your listening, speaking, reading and writing ability. You should also have a class 1A driver's licence issued by the province of Saskatchewan. You will also need to have a valid job offer from an approved employer in Saskatchewan.

For both your application for work permit and permanent residence, you will be required to submit a valid passport, birth certificate and pass medical and security checks.

There may be other options available to you based on your age, education and work experience, and with the help of your brother.

- Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars. Her office is located in Ottawa, Ontario. Submit your questions and comments via Email: Subject line: Immigration. Tel: 613-695-8777, Facebook: jamaicanlawyer.