Motorists urged to take advantage of second traffic ticket amnesty
State Minister in the Ministry of National Security Pearnel Charles Jr is urging motorists to take advantage of the second traffic ticket amnesty which began today.
Charles Jr says security will be beefed up at tax collectorates and additional cashiers put in place to deal with the expected large influx of motorists.
Motorists with tickets issued from September 1, 2010 to October 31, 2017 will have until January 13, 2018 to pay without penalty.
Unlike the first amnesty which ran from August 2 to October 31, motorists will still have the option to contest traffic tickets in the court.
However, they will no longer have the amnesty as an option and will have to abide by the decision of the court.
Charles says motorists who fail to take advantage of the current 45-day reprieve will be vigorously pursued.
About $2.84 billion was owed in unpaid traffic tickets up to December 31 last year.
The government says it collected some $590 million over the three months of the first amnesty.
The national security ministry state minister says the money collected from the amnesty will be used to purchase vehicles, equipment, and technology for the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF), as well as strengthen the cybersecurity network and upgrade the ticket management system used by Tax Administration Jamaica and the JCF.
He says some of the funds will also be used to modernise the methods used by the Ministry of Transport and Mining to enforce the new Road Traffic Act, modernise the court system and hire more judges.