Chuck warns of intensified clampdown on motorists who ignore ticket amnesty
Justice Minister Delroy Chuck is warning that motorists with outstanding warrants at the end of the second traffic ticket amnesty will be vigorously pursued through intensified action by the police.
Speaking this morning at a function to announce the addition of two more traffic courts in Kingston, Chuck said arrangements have been made with the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) to accommodate those motorists who have been apprehended and cannot be accommodated in the lock-ups at police stations.
Motorists with tickets issued between September 1, 2010 and October 31, 2017 will have until January 13, 2018 to pay without penalty.
Unlike the first amnesty which ran from August 2 to October 31, motorists will still have the option to contest traffic tickets in the court.
However, they will no longer have the amnesty as an option and will have to abide by the decision of the court.
About $2.84 billion was owed in unpaid traffic tickets up to December 31 last year.
The government says it collected some $590 million over the three months of the first amnesty.