Wed | Feb 21, 2018

Gov't commits $700m to combat frosty pod disease

Published:Wednesday | January 24, 2018 | 3:00 PM
Samuda

Agriculture Minister Karl Samuda has indicated that the government will be spending $700 million over the next two years to fight the frosty pod disease.

Samuda told the House of Representatives yesterday that Cabinet gave approval last week.

He said the outbreak of the frosty pod disease, as well as the beet army worm, has now spread from Clarendon to cover almost all of St Mary and parts of St Catherine.

Samuda said in the case of the beet army worm the ministry has provided $18 million to farmers affected in St Elizabeth. 

We want to hear from you, email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editor@gleanerjm.com