Sat | Oct 20, 2018

$5m donated towards rebuilding Walker's Place of safety

Published:Thursday | February 1, 2018 | 10:57 AM
A policewoman walks by the burnt-out remains of Walker's Place of Safety on Lyndhurst Crescent in St Andrew. - File Photo

The Child Protection and Family Services Agency (CPFSA) says it has received about $5 million in donations towards rebuilding of the Walker’s Place of Safety, in St Andrew, which was gutted by fire last month.

Head of the agency, Rosalie Gage-Grey, says it has also received pledges from two companies for buildings material and a commitment from another for demolition of the compromised building and clearing of the rubble.

She says a team of stakeholders will be meeting today as they work out the cost for rebuilding the home.

 

The team set to meet today will include officials from the youth and education ministry and the CFPSA as well as the chief architect.

Gage-Grey says the agency intends to rebuild a modern, state-of-the-art facility for the displaced children.

 

Head of the Child Protection and Family Services Agency, Rosalie Gage-Grey

A massive fire destroyed the Walker's Place of Safety close to midnight on January 15 killing two female wards.