Tue | Dec 11, 2018

Immigration Corner | Can I get an investor visa?

Published:Tuesday | March 13, 2018 | 12:00 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

I read a few weeks ago where you discussed how one could go about obtaining a British investor visa. Could you please expand on this, and advise me on what documents need to be provided and what proof of funds is acceptable?

- NP

Dear NP,

There are certain documents a person will need to provide to the authorities when applying for an investor visa. These are as follows: a current passport or other valid travel identification, their tuberculosis test results if from a country where the test is mandatory and a criminal record certificate from any country where the applicant has stayed for a total of 12 months or more over the last ten years. The applicant will also need a page in their passport that is blank on both sides for the visa, if successful.

Persons will need to provide evidence showing that they have the required investment funds.

If a person is using his/her own money to invest, he/she should be able to show how much money he/she has and where it is being held; where the money came from if he/she has not had the money for at least three months (for example, the money was inherited from a relative) and that the money can be transferred to the United Kingdom and converted to sterling, if it is not already in the United Kingdom.




If the person is relying on his/her partner's money, then he/she will need to provide a certificate of marriage or civil partnership, or, in the case of an unmarried couple, proof that they have been in a long-term relationship for at least two years; a statement from their partner confirming that they will allow the applicant to control the funds in the United Kingdom; and a letter from a legal adviser stating that the declaration is valid.

The applicant will need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh. Persons may need to provide additional documents depending on their circumstances. Therefore, it is advisable that they read online guide that outlines a list of documents you can be used

As part of the application, the person will have to pay the healthcare surcharge. It is important that the applicant check how much he/she will have to pay before applying.

- John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (UK). Email: lawbassie@yahoo.com