ECJ reserves comment on Fisher's resignation, cites pending court ruling
The Electoral Commission of Jamaica (ECJ) has reiterated that it cannot comment on the resignation of former Director of Elections, Orrette Fisher, because a court decision is still pending involving him.
Fisher resigned last week Wednesday citing external pressures and political interference.
"The EOJ as it exists today is a far cry from the organisation which existed 23 years ago when I joined," Fisher said in a letter to staff.
In a statement today, ECJ chairperson Dorothy Pine McLarty said, at the appropriate time, a statement to the public "may be" issued.
The Supreme Court has reserved its ruling on the tenure of the former elections boss.
There have been questions about the silence of the ECJ since Fisher resigned amid a court battle over his job.
Fisher was first appointed Director of Elections in November 2008 for a seven-year term.
When his tenure ended in 2015, he was appointed to act as director of elections for one year.
In 2016, he was given another one-year contract.
Last October, Fisher was informed by the ECJ that his services would be terminated.
He disagreed with the move and filed an application in court challenging the termination.