Portland raft captains accused of operating illegally to return to court July 20
The 14 raft captains assigned to Rio Grande rafting and attractions in Portland, who were served summonses for operating illegally, are to return to court on July 20.
The rafts-men this morning appeared in the Port Antonio Parish Court where they were told to return to court with their attorney.
They were served with summonses more than a week ago by a team from the Jamaica Constabulary Force Tourism Unit after they were allegedly caught transporting tourists along the Rio Grande after the 4:00 p.m. cut off.
President of the Raft Captain Association, Lawrence Chisolm, came out against the action taken against him members arguing that the rafts-men were merely following a long-standing practise.
According to him, the Tourism Product Development Company (TPDCo), the operator of the facility, is aware that is was the norm.
However, TPDCo Executive Director, Dr Andrew Spencer, last week refuted the claim saying that the agency did not sanction the action of the rafts-men.
Spencer said TPDCo has always supported the raft captains in their quest for better wages, but noted that under the River Rafting Act such practise on the part of the rafts-men is illegal.