Sun | Jan 20, 2019

Tertiary grants available for children of public-sector workers

Published:Friday | May 4, 2018 | 12:00 AM

The Ministry of Finance and the Public Service is inviting public-sector employees to apply for tertiary-education grants on behalf of their children.

The grant, which is to assist with tuition fees only, will cover 80 per cent of payment, up to a maximum $150,000.

To benefit, the public-sector employee must be permanently, temporarily, or contractually appointed, with at least two years' service with the Government of Jamaica.

Eligible students must have been accepted or are pursuing a local, full-time accredited associate or bachelor's degree programme at any tertiary institution registered by the University Council of Jamaica .

Additionally, the student must be under 25 years old, unemployed, and have a minimum grade point average of 3.0.

Application forms, which can be accessed from the ministry's website, must be certified by and sent through the human resources department of the respective ministry, department, or agency to the Finance Ministry.

In addition to the application form, employees must submit an employment letter; an acceptance letter for new students; a progress report for continuing students; a copy of the student's birth certificate, reflecting the name of the parent making the application; as well as the tuition cost for the programme of study, which can be a printout from the institution's website.

Payment will be made directly to the institution indicated on the application.

Students in receipt of any other Government of Jamaica educational grant will not be eligible for the award.