Sun | Dec 16, 2018

66 shot, 34 fatally by security forces between Jan - Mar 2018 - INDECOM

Published:Thursday | May 17, 2018 | 3:47 PMSyranno Baines
Hamish Campbell - File photo

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) has revealed that 66 persons have been shot, 34 fatally, by the police between January and March this year.

Speaking at a press conference at the commission’s head office earlier today, Assistant Commissioner Hamish Campbell told journalists that St Catherine recorded the highest number of fatal shootings with 10, while the parishes of Manchester, Trelawny and Portland had none.

Campbell said INDECOM has recorded 58 cases of shootings involving the security forces so far this year.

“This is very slightly less than the total number of fatal shootings for the same period last year, so there’s been no discernable shift or reduction in the number of security forces shootings at this stage of the year,” said Campbell.

Turning to complaints, assault allegations by members of the public head the list with 89 reported cases over the period, followed by the discharge of firearms, fatal shootings, shooting injuries and deaths in custody.

Campbell revealed that nine persons died in custody during the first quarter of 2018 but pointed out that none of the deaths were subject to a complaint that the security forces had been involved in any assault of the deceased.

“One of was almost certainly suicide and the others were illness. Two or three of them were long-term serving prisoners [ who became] ill, transferred to hospital and died in hospital. But we still record them all as deaths in custody but none of them can be regarded as suspicious at this stage or any level of culpability,” Campbell said.

We want to hear from you! Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-449-0169, email us at editors@gleanerjm.com or onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com.