Fri | Jan 22, 2021

Gregory Park curfew hailed a success

Published:Sunday | June 17, 2018 | 12:00 AM

The six-day curfew imposed on the Gregory Park area of St Catherine, which led to the flushing out of Demar 'Eddie' Montaque, also called 'Two-gun Kid', who was killed by the police in nearby Waterford a day into the operation, is being hailed as a success by Senior Superintendent Clive Blair, head of the St Catherine South Police Division.

Blair pointed to the recovery of three illegal firearms, including two, which Montaque was allegedly found clutching after being cut down in a reported early-morning shoot-out with a joint team from the Mobile Reserve and St Catherine South Operations team on June 6.

"We recovered one gun in Gregory Park itself but it was really three, overall, because Eddie was displaced to Waterford and we found him with two, so it's three guns and the demise of one of the gang leaders, which has brought some stability to the Gregory Park area," the senior superintendent pointed out.


'Scaly' extradited


Last week, Senior Superintendent Blair revealed a major development at the previous weekend, the extradition of Ian 'Scaly' Thomas, St Catherine South's most-wanted, from Trinidad and Tobago.

"Our most-wanted, 'Scaly', was found in Trinidad. He is wanted for a triple murder committed in Gregory Park on December 8, 2016. He was deported to Jamaica at the weekend," the senior cop revealed.

Meanwhile, police sources said that gangster, Demar 'Eddie' Montaque, who was cut down by lawmen recently, led the Compound Gang, revelling in his infamy as a killer and fugitive for just under a year. He had popped up on the police radar after allegedly murdering his rival's father, 'Spinigog', which ignited a gang war responsible for five of seven killings committed in the Gregory Park area this year.

The former gang leader gained further notoriety after becoming renowned as a killer for hire. He allegedly took on a team from the St Catherine South Proactive Investigative Unit, which resulted in the loss of one of his guns, elevating him to being the division's most wanted for shooting with intent and illegal possession of firearm and ammunition.

Blair said although the curfew ended last Monday evening at 6 p.m., a high-visibility presence of police personnel continued to monitor the Gregory Park area and its environs, searching for other wanted men.

"Although we don't have the curfew, we are maintaining a 24-hour presence in the space, mobile and foot patrols. We are looking for other persons who can assist us in our investigations, particular Sanjay Williams, also called 'Ernie'. He is the leader of the other gang in the Gregory Park space, responsible for the Train Line Gang. We want to speak to him in relation to the spate of shootings and murders. We believe he can assist in our investigations," Blair said.