St James health authority warns public about smoke from dump fire
The St. James Public Health Services under the Western Regional Health Authority says it is working with all the relevant agencies to closely monitor the fire at the Retirement Dump.
The dump has been on fire since last weekend.
The health agency is using persons to avoid exposure to the smoke by doing the following:
* Minimise all outdoor activities
* Persons who suffer from asthma and other respiratory illnesses are advised to cover mouth and nose with a clean damp rag to protect themselves from inhalation of smoke and dust particles.
* Keep children indoors as much as possible; keep windows and doors closed to prevent exposure to smoke and dust and look out for any difficulty in breathing or any discomfort that your child may experience.
* Persons with illnesses such as heart or lung condition and other chronic diseases should continue to take medications as prescribed.
* Anyone who is experiencing difficulty breathing, wheezing or tightness in the chest should seek urgent medical assistance.