Be careful when renting your motorcar, police warns
The police are warning motor vehicle owners to be cautious when loaning their cars for rental purposes.
They say criminals may seek out these opportunities to gain access to motor vehicles to commit crimes.
The police says persons not formally registered to operate a motor vehicle rental company should therefore be careful.
Meanwhile, the police are reminding motorists to ensure that they utilise all necessary safety mechanisms to safeguard themselves and their motor vehicles.
The police are offering the following safety guidelines:
* Invest in a tracking device whenever possible.
* Park in a well-lit area.
* Keep car doors locked and windows rolled up at traffic lights and intersections and during heavy traffic.
* Make sure you have enough fuel in case there is an emergency and you need to divert from your usual route.
* Let someone know where you will be and the time you plan to return at all times.
* Be aware of your surroundings.
* Keep valuables out of sight.
* Trust your instincts; if something does not feel right maybe it is not.
* In the event that you feel threatened while driving, stay calm and do not drive home. Instead, drive to the nearest police station and avoid lonely thoroughfares.
* Be alert at all times.