Grace Jones, "Mighty Shadow", Chanderpaul among 17 to get UWI honorary degrees
International music and fashion icon, Jamaican Grace Jones, fellow entertainer, Trinidadian Winston Bailey, more popularly known as Mighty Shadow, former cricketers Shivnarine Chanderpaul from Guyana and Michael Anthony Holding from Jamaica are among 17 persons to be conferred with honorary degrees by The University of the West Indies (The UWI) at its graduation ceremonies in October.
The UWI says the honorary graduands represent a cross-section of eminent people in the arts, sciences and other fields.
The university says their degrees, which were approved by the University Council, will be presented by Chancellor Robert Bermudez.
The schedule of graduation ceremonies begins October 13 at the Open Campus in St Lucia and continues on October 20 at the Cave Hill Campus, October 25-27 at the St Augustine Campus and November 2-3 at the Mona Campus.
Each ceremony will be streamed live allowing friends, family and well-wishers to view the proceedings.
The following is the complete list of UWI honorary graduands for 2018, and each of their nominated honorary degrees follows:
* The Honourable Dame Janice Mesadis Pereira DBE from the British Virgin Islands for her work in Law – Honorary Doctor of Laws
* Mr Larry Quinlan from St Kitts for his work in Leadership – Honorary Doctor of Laws
Cave Hill Campus
* The Honourable Justice Adrian Dudley Saunders from St Vincent and the Grenadines for his work in Law – Honorary Doctor of Laws
* Professor Ebenezer Oduru Owusu from Ghana for his contribution as an Agricultural Scientist – Honorary Doctor of Science
St Augustine Campus
* Mrs Paula Lucie-Smith from Trinidad and Tobago for her contributions as a teacher, advocate and pioneer – Honorary Doctor of Laws
* The Honourable Hubert Ingraham from The Bahamas for his work as a Politician – Honorary Doctor of Laws
* Mr Shivnarine Chanderpaul from Guyana for his achievements in the sport of cricket – Honorary Doctor of Laws
* Mr Winston A. Bailey, OBE (Mighty Shadow) from Trinidad and Tobago for his contributions as a Musical Composer – Honorary Doctor of Literature
* Mr Michael Anthony Holding from Jamaica for his achievements in the sport of cricket – Honorary Doctor of Laws
* The Honourable Kenneth S. Benjamin, OJ, CD from Jamaica for his leadership in the field of Security – Honorary Doctor of Laws
* Mrs Donette St M. Chin-Loy Chang from Jamaica for her philanthropy – Honorary Doctor of Laws
* Mr H. Carl McCall from Jamaica for his leadership in Public Service – Honorary Doctor of Literature
* Dr Shirley J. Thompson from Jamaica for her contributions as an artistic director and educator - Honorary Doctor of Literature
* Ms Grace B. Jones from Jamaica for her achievements as an entertainer, model and global trendsetter – Honorary Doctor of Literature
* Dr Karl Wellington from Jamaica for his contributions as an Agricultural Scientist – Honorary Doctor of Science
* Mr Lloyd A. Williams from Jamaica for his contributions in leadership – Honorary Doctor of Laws
* Mr Montgomery Bernard “Monty” Alexander from Jamaica for his achievements as a Musician - Honorary Doctor of Literature