Fri | Jul 19, 2019

Immigration Corner | Documents needed when applying for derivative residence card

Published:Tuesday | September 4, 2018 | 12:00 AM
John Bassie

Dear Mr Bassie,

Could you tell me what documents must be provided when applying for a derivative residence card? Thanks in advance for any advice.

- L.N.

Dear L.N.,

There are specific documents that persons must provide when applying for a derivative residence. These are as follows:

- A current passport or other valid travel document.

- Two passport-size colour photographs of the applicant and any dependents included in the application.

- Birth certificates or other documents to prove the relationship to the person that the applicant is to be the primary caregiver or child of, for example, a legal guardianship order.

- A passport-size colour photograph of the person that he/she is to be the primary caregiver or child of.

The applicants should read the application guidance for a list of documents that can be provided. Please be aware that persons will need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh. Persons may need to provide additional documents depending on their circumstances.


Applying as a primary caregiver


If persons are applying as a primary caregiver, they will also need documents about the person they are caring for. Persons must provide proof:

- Of their current immigration status, e.g., their passport, birth certificate, or adoption certificate;

- They are dependent on the caregiver, e.g., court orders or care responsibilities;

- They are living in the United Kingdom, e.g., tenancy agreements, utility bills, or bank statements;

- That 'self-sufficient' children who are European Economic Area (EEA) nationals are financially independent and have full health insurance in the UK.


Applying as the child of an EEA national who stops work or leaves the UK


If persons apply as the child of an EEA national who stops work or leaves the United Kingdom, persons must also show that:

- They are in education in the UK, for example, a letter from the school, college, or university;

-They were in education in the UK when their EEA parent was living in the UK, for example, a letter from the school, college, or university and the parent's tenancy agreement or utility bill;

- Their EEA parent was working in the UK at the same time they were in the UK. For example, their pay slips or a letter from their employer.


Biometric information for non-EEA nationals


Each non-EEA national applying must also provide their biometric information, that is, their fingerprints and a photo, and this costs PS19.20.

Please note that persons can give their biometric information at certain post office branches.

Those persons will need to:

- Have a digital photo taken of their face;

- Put their fingers on a glass screen to be scanned;

- Give their signature.

The process takes less than five minutes.




Children under 16 years old must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or someone over 18 years of age who has legal responsibility for the child. If the responsible adult is not the parent or guardian, they must be named on the application form. Children under six years old do not need to provide fingerprints but must have a digital photo taken of their face.


If persons have a medical or physical condition


If persons do not have any fingers or hands, they will only need to have a digital photo taken of their face. It will be noted on the records that the person is physically unable to provide fingerprints.

If persons or any dependents need any special arrangements to give their biometrics, they will have to send a letter from their doctor with their application. The letter must include the details of the applicants' condition and any special arrangements that they may need.

- John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (UK). Email: