Unruly motorists the root of #TrafficTroubles, more road restrictions coming — NWA
The National Works Agency (NWA) says unruly motorists were at the heart of traffic delays in sections of the Corporate Area.
Following a meeting with senior engineers and police personnel on Monday afternoon, NWA communications manager Stephen Shaw said Gretna Green Avenue was a major trouble spot.
He said motorists attempted to use Gretna Green Avenue to bypass to traffic on Hagley Park Road and this contributed to the gridlock at the intersection of Hagley and Waltham Park roads .
IN PHOTO: Traffic backed up at the intersection of Waltham and Hagley Park roads
So now, the police will be making additional traffic changes:
1. Traffic movement to be restricted along Gretna Green Avenue.
2. Access to Waltham Park Road through the Total Gas Station at the intersection of Waltham Park Road and Gretna Green Avenue will be restricted.
3. Access being granted to vehicular traffic along Hagley Park Road from the direction of the intersection of Waltham Park and Hagley Park Road, heading towards Half-Way Tree.
4. Buses operated by the Jamaica Urban Transit Company and franchise operators will be allowed to use Olympic Way and Bay Farm Road to access Spanish Town Road.
5. Openings in the median along Spanish Town Road, between Majesty Gardens and Penwood Road will be closed.
Shaw is reminding persons that Henley Avenue and Penwood Road are available for persons wishing to travel towards Half-Way Tree from Spanish Town Road.
The original traffic changes in the Corporate Area took effect last week to facilitate a major bridge construction project in Three Miles.
Yesterday, traffic restrictions went in full force in Three Miles and will remain for eight months.