Bails extended for cops in Mario Deane murder case
The case against the three cops who are facing multiple charges in relation to the 2014 death of Mario Deane has been pushed back to January 11, 2019, for additional case management between the prosecution and defence attorneys.
Corporal Elaine Stewart and District Constables Juliana Clevon and Marlon Grant were given the new date and had their bails extended when they appeared in the St James Circuit Court on Wednesday.
A case management hearing was previously scheduled but yesterday lead prosecutor Maxine Jackson told presiding High Court judge Justice Sharon George that a further review is needed ahead of the anticipated trial.
“In this matter, it is for review and disclosure. We’ve disclosed information to defence counsel and we’ve agreed on a date for a plea and case management hearing,” said Jackson.
“Your bails are extended to January 11 for a plea and case management hearing, and for the Crown to review the file,” George told the three cops before extending their bails.
Stewart, Clevon, and Grant were charged with manslaughter, misconduct in a public office, and perverting the course of justice following allegations that they were on duty at the time Deane was brutally beaten on August 3, 2014 while in custody at the Barnett Street police lock-up in Montego Bay for possession of a ganja spliff.
Deane, who was 31 years old at the time, later died at the Cornwall Regional Hospital.
It is also alleged that Stewart instructed that the cell be cleaned before the arrival of investigators from the Independent Commission of Investigations.
The case against the cops has now been deferred three times since it was committed to the circuit court on May 7, the last time the trio appeared in the St James Parish Court.
They first appeared in the circuit court on September 18 and again on October 2.