Did gunman in latest US mass shooting stop to make Instagram post?
Authorities in the state of California in the United States (US) believe that the gunman who killed 12 people inside a bar on Wednesday stopped to post messages to Instagram, the popular social media platform.
According to Ventura County Sheriff’s Captain Garo Kuredjian, this is based on the time stamp on the messages.
However, Kuredjian says he does not know the content of any postings.
Instagram and Facebook typically refuse to discuss individual accounts and did not respond to a request for comment.
Investigators trying to make sense of why 28-year-old former marine Ian David Long killed 12 people at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Southern California are not publicly discussing what they have learnt, but sources say at least one Instagram post he made after beginning the massacre has emerged as an early focus.
That message, along with others previously posted by Long, were removed by the various social media platforms following the shooting.
But according to one law enforcement official, the former marine posted about his mental state and whether people would believe he was sane.
Authorities were also investigating whether he believed his former girlfriend would be at the bar, said one official briefed on the investigation, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
Law enforcement officials indicated, too, that the shooting was carried out with “military efficiency.”
One official pointed out that none of those injured was hurt by gunfire, suggesting that when Long fired his .45-calibre pistol, he killed.
He reportedly turned the gun on himself as scores of police officers closed in.
Among the victims was Ron Helus, a local sheriff’s sergeant, who died while attempting to rescue victims.