Wed | Oct 28, 2020

Guilty on all counts... Constable 'Chucky' Brown convicted on murder, other charges

Published:Thursday | November 15, 2018 | 12:00 AM

Police Constable Collis ‘Chucky’ Brown has been found guilty on three counts of murder in the infamous police death squad case.

He was also found guilty on one count of wounding with intent and conspiracy to commit murder. 

He is to be sentenced on December 20.

The verdicts were handed down a short while ago in Kingston’s Home Circuit Court:

Murder of Damoy Gutty Dawkins on January 10, 2009 – Guilty

Murder of Dwayne Douglas on December 13, 2012– Guilty

Murder of Andrew Fearon on December 13, 2012 – Guilty

Wounding with intent of a Crown witness on January 10, 2009 – Guilty

Conspiracy to commit murder - Guilty

The jurors returned with the verdict nearly four hours after they retired on the instruction of high Court Judge Justice Vivene Harris.

They left the courtroom at 11:30 and returned at 3:25 p.m.

TIMLELINE: The Chucky Brown case

January 10, 2009 - Damoy 'Gutty' Dawkins fatally shot on the Palmer's Cross main road in Clarendon.

January 21, 2009 - Autopsy performed on Dawkins.

December 13, 2012 - Dwayne 'Murderous' Douglas and Andrew 'Sugar' Fearon shot and killed along the Swansea main road in Clarendon. 

December 24, 2012 - Autopsy carried out on Douglas and Fearon.

2013 - Brown spoke to human rights organisation.

2013 - Brown spoke to a former high-ranking Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) officer, days after visiting a human rights organisation.

August 6, 2013 - Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) conducted uncautioned interview with Brown at a hotel in Mandeville, Manchester.

August 10, 2013 - INDECOM conducted cautioned interview with Brown at its head office in St. Andrew.

September 29, 2013 - Brown signed 92-page transcript of the August 10, 2013 INDEOM interview while at a hotel in Clarendon. Signing of the document also recorded.

January 14, 2014 - Brown arrested and charged.

January 18, 2014 - Brown allegedly gave a letter INDECOM Assistant Commissioner Hamish Campbell addressed to a high-ranking police officer while in custody at Up Park Camp in St. Andrew.

March 15, 2017 - Brown and co-accused, Corporal Roan Morrison, freed of the murder of Phaebian Dinnal and wounding with intent charges in relation to another man during a February 2010 inncident in May Pen, Clarendon.

October 3 - Prosecution's first witness testified that he saw Brown firing shots at Dawkins along the Palmer's Cross main road in Clarendon on the day of the incident. 

October 3 - During cross-examination by defence attorney Norman Godfrey it was revealed that the first witness gave a statement to the police days after the Palmer's Cross incident.

October 8 - Doctor who performed autopsy on Dawkins testified that the deceased received three  gunshot wounds.

October 9 - INDECOM Assistant Commissier Hamish Campbell testified that in the interview the oversight body conducted with Brown on August 6, 2013, he admitted to being a part of a police squad involved in the shooting and killing of people.

October 10 -  Campbell said Brown told him that a senior officer within the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) supplied him and other members of the 'special' police squad with resources to carry out extrajudicial killings.

October 11 - Campbell rejected the defence's suggestion  that  INDECOM offered his client asylum in exchange for information.

October 24 - Video and audio recordings from the August 6, 2013 interview INDECOM conducted with Brown played for the jury.

October 25 - Audio recording of August 10, 2013 interview played to jury.

October 29 - INDECOM investigator testified that Brown was supplied with an audio recording device.

October 30 - The Crown's final witness testified that police Constable Brown identified one of his dons as a well-known contractor from Manchester.

November 2 - Defence attorneys made unsuccessful no-case submission in relation to two of the five-count indictment.

November 5  - Brown gave unsworn statement in court saying he was carrying out instructions of his superiors.

November 5  - Defence calls character witness to stand.

November 6 - Defence called former high-ranking police officer to the stand who gave testimony on Brown's character. 

November 6 - 7 - Prosecution made closing arguments saying Brown committed the alleged murders on his own free will.

November 7 - 8 - Defence made closing arguments insisting that INDECOM held out an offer to Brown and turned its back on him when he was unable to deliver incriminating evidence on his superiors and colleagues.

November 9 and 12-15 - Trial judge presented summation of evidence; jury retires to consider verdict.

We want to hear from you! Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169, email us at or