Sun | Dec 16, 2018

White House ordered to return journalist's press pass

Published:Saturday | November 17, 2018 | 9:54 AM
Acosta...let's go back to work

United States (US) President Donald Trump has threatened to walk out of future press briefings if reporters do not act with "decorum".

He was speaking after a court in Washington DC ordered the White House to return CNN reporter Jim Acosta's press pass.

Acosta's press pass was revoked by the US Secret Service after he clashed with Trump during a news conference at the White House earlier this month.

The court order was made in a lawsuit filed by CNN, which was joined by other media groups, including conservative-leaning Fox News.

The presiding judge said, in his ruling, that the decision by the White House “likely violated the journalist's right to due process and freedom of speech."

The judge, however, made it clear that his ruling was not on the merits of the lawsuit.

As a result, the judge ordered that the press pass be returned until the full case is heard.

Speaking outside the court, Acosta praised the decision and told reporters "let's go back to work".

But Trump played down the ruling, saying it wasn't "a big deal".

He revealed, too, that White House staffers are now "writing up rules and regulations" for the press to abide by, including sticking to the agreed number of questions.

"If they don't listen to the rules and regulations we'll end up back in court and will win," Trump said.

"But more importantly, we'll just leave. You can't take three questions and four questions and just stand up and not sit down. You have to practise decorum,” he added.

We want to hear from you! Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169, email us at editors@gleanerjm.com or onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com.