Tue | Mar 26, 2019

Fort Augusta transfers high-risk inmates to Horizon after viral Facebook video

Published:Wednesday | January 16, 2019 | 11:36 AM
Fort Augusta Adult Correctional Centre - File photo

Danae Hyman, Online Reporter

Six high-risk inmates of the Fort Augusta Adult Correctional Centre have been relocated to the maximum security Horizon Adult Remand Centre.

It is among a series of measures announced by the National Security Ministry this morning following calls by inmates for increased safety systems.

The inmates went live on the social media platform Facebook twice in four days appealing for help after last week's incident where a prisoner was stabbed seven times while she slept.

The attacker who is awaiting trial for murder is also before the court for stabbing and injuring another inmate last year.

 

The Ministry has also announced more frequent random searches and new gate procedures.

 

At a meeting between Commissioner of Corrections Ina Hunter and a representative of the inmates in the general population on Monday, the prisoner reportedly voiced safety concerns.

The inmate reportedly said her colleagues felt their safety was not a priority as prisoners who are deemed short-tempered or who are suffering from a mental illness are allowed in the general population putting others at risk.

A day later, officials from the Department of Corrections met with state minister for national security Rudyard Spencer and arrived at new security measures.

The ministry has also announced the following changes:

* Following a health assessment by the institution's medical team, three inmates who were diagnosed as mentally ill were placed in singular cells.

* All electrical outlets on the cell blocks are to be reinforced to prevent the charging of phones which will inherently prevent the use of these devices.

* Frequent random searches. 

* Enhanced gate procedures. 

* Additional staff for Fort Augusta.

“We deeply regret that this attack transpired and has even cause hurt to an inmate. The safety and well-being of all inmates and staff are of utmost importance. We continue to do everything in our power to ensure that the basic rights of inmates are protected,” Spencer said in a statement this morning.

He further denied claims made by the inmates in their Facebook video stating that they are not being denied meals.

We want to hear from you! Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169, email us at editors@gleanerjm.com or onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com.