Mmmm ... Stuffed, twice-baked sweet potatoes
Apples and sausage and sweet potatoes, all baked up together. Does it get more wonderfully delicious?
It really is that simple. Wonderful flavours combined into one awesomely twice-baked package. Add a bit of cheese to tie it all together and you have a fantastic dinner that takes just 20 minutes hands-on time. Even better, they are easily prepped in advance. Follow the recipe up to the baking stage, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to two days.
Apple-sausage stuffed sweet potatoes
(Can't find cheese curds? Substitute shredded or chopped Cheddar.)
4 large sweet potatoes
1lb loose fennel sausage meat
1/4 cup chopped shallots
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
1 large apple, peeled, cored and
1 cup cheese curds, chopped
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
Heat the oven to 350°F.
• Start to finish: 11/2 hours (20
• Servings: 8
1. Use a fork to poke several holes into each potato. Place them directly on the oven's middle rack and bake for 45 minutes, or until tender throughout when pierced with a knife. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Leave the oven on.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the sausage, shallots, garlic and rosemary until the sausage is browned and cooked through. Remove from the heat. Stir in the apple, then set aside.
3. Once the potatoes have cooled enough to handle, cut each in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to carefully scoop out most of the insides, leaving about 1/4 inch of flesh. Add the scooped-out sweet potato and the cheese curds to the sausage mixture, mixing it well. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture back into the sweet-potato shells.
4. Arrange the filled sweet-potato halves on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
• Nutrition information per serving: 290 calories; 140 calories from fat (48 per cent of total calories); 15g fat (5g saturated; 0g trans fats); 55mg cholesterol; 24g carbohydrate; 4g fiber; 9g sugar; 14g protein; 410mg sodium.