Mon | Oct 15, 2018

My orgasms hurt

Published:Sunday | February 15, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q Good day, Doc. I have a strange problem which I think no other woman has. After 12 years of marriage, with a very good and exciting sex life, I have suddenly found that, whenever I have an orgasm, I get a violent shooting pain in my belly.

It hurts very badly, but fortunately, it only lasts for around 10 minutes. It doesn't happen every time I have sex.

What is going on? Could this be a sign of cancer?

A No, I am glad to say that it couldn't be. But I appreciate that this is a very distressing symptom for a woman.

Pain during orgasm is called dysorgasmia. Until very recently, this symptom was almost completely unknown to doctors, and it did not appear in medical textbooks.

But if you look it up on the Internet, you will see that quite a lot of women complain of dysorgasmia, particularly in the United States. They often say that they have been to a doctor who has never heard of the symptom.

So far, medics have not come up with an answer as to why this pain occurs. A New York gynaecologist recently claimed that it was often because of low-dose contraceptive pills, but that does not seem likely. Other doctors have suggested that it is the result of using Prozac, or of taking herbal remedies.

What is clear is that orgasmic pain often occurs in women who are in their 30s or 40s, so it may well be linked to female hormone levels, which tend to start decreasing in this age group.

Another thing that is clear is that the symptom tends to go away after a few months, so the women are once again able to enjoy pain-free orgasms. So I don't think that you are going to be stuck with this pain forever.

Finally, I have found out that a team of English gynaecologists have recently reported that they have had some success in treating this symptom with a drug called amitriptyline, which is sort of an antidepressant. So if you keep on getting pain whenever you have an orgasm, it might be worth asking your doctor about this medication.

Q I regret to say that, on a recent visit to Kingston, I was unfaithful to my wife with a call girl. That was around three months ago.

Since then, I have had no symptoms at all. So can I safely assume that I have not caught anything?

A Well, you are probably okay. But the fact is that some forms of sexually transmitted infections do not produce any symptoms in the early stages.

You should consult a doctor for a check-up and tests. Please be quite frank with him about the fact that you have been with a call girl.

Q Doc, I have two boyfriends - one in Sav-la-Mar and one in the Corporate Area.

I now have a very bad attack of yeast. Have I caught this from one of them? If so, how could I tell which one gave it to me?

A Yeast is a fungus, also known as 'thrush' or 'candida'. It loves to live in warm, moist areas of the body. Therefore, its most common site is the vagina. But it also frequently occurs in babies' mouths, where it produces soreness, redness, and little white lumps.

So yeast is a very common thing. When it affects the vagina, it produces soreness, itching and a 'cheesy', white discharge. But one cannot say for certain that it is sexually transmitted. However, it is quite common for the partners of affected women to 'carry' yeast - usually in the foreskin area.

I'm afraid that it is quite impossible to say which of your boyfriends might have passed the thrush on to you. Nevertheless, I think it would be reasonable to contact both of these men and tell them that you have a yeast infection, and suggest that they use some anti-yeast cream (from a pharmacy) for around a week.

I am presuming that you have been given some anti-yeast treatment by your own doctor.

Q I have very heavy menses. Would it be a good idea for me to use the IUD coil, Doc?

A Probably not, because the coil tends to make the periods heavier.

But you might consider the hormone-containing IUD (Mirena or Jaydess), which is actually good at decreasing your menstrual flow.

Q I am a 32-year-old man and two years ago, I went to England to study for a few months. While I was there, I was persuaded to go to a gay club where I had too much to drink.

As a result, I suddenly found myself being given oral sex by a young man I had never seen before (or since).

I have tried to forget about this episode, but now I am engaged to a beautiful girl. I am wondering if I could have caught any disease from that young man?

A You are probably okay, but to be totally safe, maybe you should take an HIV test.

By the way, are you absolutely sure that you want to get married? If you have any lingering homosexual desires, maybe it would be better to stay single for the moment.

Q Doc, I am facing a charge in the court for a sexual offence. Could I plead successfully that I was under the influence of Viagra at the time, so it was really not my fault?

A No, you couldn't. I don't know what sort of sexual offence you are charged with, but saying that you had taken Viagra is not a defence!

Viagra does not have any effect on a man's mind or make him desperate to have sex. All it does is to widen the tubes which carry blood to his penis, thus making it easier for him to get an erection.

So this defence will not work with the judge.

Q I had a pretty active sex life when I was young. Once, I even took part in a threesome. However, I have 'behaved' myself in recent years.

Now I am about to get married. But, Doc, I am wondering if I should tell my future husband about some of the things I did in my teens and early 20s. Would this be wise?

A You should be very careful in what you disclose. It is true that some men are 'turned on' by hearing about their wives' previous sexual escapades.

But some men get very upset or angry when they discover that their spouses have a sexual past. So you might do best to keep quiet!

However, if you feel that you must tell your husband-to-be something, why not keep it to a single, very mild disclosure and see what his reaction is.