Fri | Dec 14, 2018

Dear Doc: Can I get cancer from too much sex?

Published:Sunday | February 14, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q: Doc, what are the facts about sex and cervical cancer? I am a 32-year-old female and when I was younger I 'played the field' quite a bit. I know that has something to do with causing cancer.

I have been married twice, but now I am widowed, so I haven't had any sex for several years. I am wondering if that would mean that I am now safe from cervical cancer?

I hope so, because I have just met a nice, romantic guy, and think I am falling in love with him! By the way, I have never had a Pap smear.

A: I think you have misunderstood a few things about cancer of the cervix (cervical cancer).

Any woman who has ever had sex can get it. That means you could get it! The fact that you haven't had sexual relations for several years is irrelevant. So, whatever happens with this 'nice guy' whom you have met, you need to get yourself some cervical screening very soon. Cervical screening is what most people call a 'Pap test' or a 'smear test.'

Please let me explain the facts about the cervix and sex. This information is vital to any woman who has ever had sex!

The cervix is the lowest part of the womb. It projects down into the vagina, and it is easy to feel it with the tip of your finger. When you do that, it actually feels like you are touching the end of someone's nose.

The position of the cervix means that it is often 'hit' by the end of the penis during sexual intercourse. And unfortunately, intercourse often transfers a dangerous little virus straight into the cervix.

The virus is called 'Human Papilloma Virus' or 'HPV.' There are various types of it, but two of them are particularly likely to cause cancer of the cervix. Usually, the cancer does not develop until 10 or 15 years later which is why most women who get this disease are usually over the age of 30.

The good news is that cervical screening tests ('Pap smears') will give early warning that something is wrong long before you get any symptoms of cancer. The test detects unusual cells which could perhaps become cancerous at a later date.

Sometimes these cells just go away of their own accord. But if they start looking as if they might 'turn nasty,' then it is quite easy for a gynaecologist to treat them and get rid of them.

If you have any other questions about cancer of the cervix, please feel free to email me. But do get that test done!


Q: Doc, I am going to marry a very lovely lady after Easter. My sex problem is this, should I tell her that around five years ago, I had chlamydia?

A: Well, I think that this would be only fair.

Did you get fully treated for the chlamydia? If so, then you are probably cured unless of course, you caught it again from someone you have had sex with in the last five years.

My advice is that you should see a doctor immediately and get a chlamydia test done. This is quite easy to arrange. But even if the test is reported as negative, I feel that you should tell your fiancee about your 'past history.'

I think it is real unlikely that she will break off the engagement.


Q: Lately I've been having a problem. I don't know if my partner's penis has grown, or whether it's me.

Every time we have sex, it's like something inside of me is blocking his organ from getting in. And when it does get in fully, it really pains me. Can you advise my please.

A: It is almost impossible that your partner's penis has grown. So there must be some Gynaecological issue that has arisen with you.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are in your 30s, I would say that statistically the likeliest reason for your problem would be the common female condition called 'endometriosis.' This causes various pain, often including pain during sex.

However, there are quite a lot of other disorders which could cause your symptoms. So in my view, it is vital that you see a doctor right away, preferably a gynaecologist. I am sure that the doctor will be able to diagnosis your problem, and arrange a cure for you. Good luck.


Q: Happy Sunday, doc! My 40 year old boyfriend has had a problematic week. When we were having sex, he was unable to ejaculate. After about 20 minutes, he began to 'lose his nature.' And despite my telling him to just rest and not stress about it, he insisted on trying and trying and trying. Believe me, doc, it is no fun being rammed with a flaccid penis!

This is not the first time that this has happened, but he complains that he is 'cramping up,' and needs to 'come' or he will be damaged!

I have suggested he gets a blood pressure test at the Pharmacy, or see a doctor, but he refuses. Help!

A: Sorry to hear about this. First thing, the complaint of 'cramping up in his seed' and 'having to climax' makes no sense. No man is ever hurt health wise by failing to reach an orgasm!

I do not think that this problem has anything to do with his blood pressure. But it is crazy that he will not see a doctor. Please try hard to persuade him.

The doctor will listen to his story, and do some tests. He certainly needs to have a urine test, and maybe a few blood tests too. As a result of all that, the doctor should then be able to explain to him why he is getting these erectile problems and may well be able to cure him.


Q: I'm seeking an answer for a problem I have been having for the longest time. I've been experiencing warts on my vaginal opening. They often emit blood and other disturbing substances.

The warts will last up to a month. Then they get better, but after that they become sore again.

This is quite puzzling, and it has me worried. Is this a virus infection that I have caught? If so, can it be treated? And how?

A: Warts on the vulva (the opening of the vagina) are very common. They are caused from a virus, which is passed on during sex.

However, what you describe does not sound like genital warts. They may actually be pus-filled boils. Therefore, I urge you to let a doctor look at these 'warts' as soon as possible. I am almost certain that they can be cured.


Q: I am 40 years old and have been divorced for 10 years. I thought my sex life was over. But now I have met the most wonderful, charming man! In bed, he 'takes me to heaven,' doc.

But is it possible to fall in love at the age of 40?

A: It definitely is. Many people fall in love when they are much older than you. Please don't rush things. But I hope your romance will prosper.