Thu | Nov 21, 2019

Dear Doc | I regret my sexy past

Published:Sunday | October 23, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q Doc, I am a 30-year-old female, and I must confess that I have led a pretty sexy life! But now I regret it. I am reformed, and I am going to stick to one man for the rest of my days. I love him, Doc!

However, one thing is making me worry. I am sure I have read somewhere that if a woman has had a pretty promiscuous life, that can give her cancer of the breast, or something.

Is this true?

Also, what can I do to protect myself against cancer? I have heard that there are certain 'warning signs' connected with female cancers, and would like to know what these are.

Please help me.

A To begin with, let us clear up this question of sex and breast cancer. There are no connections between sex and cancer of the breast. What you have heard is completely wrong.

There is only one female cancer which has any link with a 'wild' sex life, and that is cancer of the cervix. It is a fact that if you have had sex with a lot of men, your chances of getting this disease are greatly increased.

In fact, any woman who has ever had sexual intercourse is at some risk of cervical cancer. This is simply because of the fact that intercourse often transmits the notorious HPV (Human Papilloma Virus). Unfortunately, it has cancer-causing properties.

But the great news is that if you have regular 'Pap smears' (cervical screening) throughout your life, you will not die of cervical cancer. This is because the tests detect the very very early stages of any malignant changes. In fact, these changes are detected so early that the condition is almost always curable!

So my message to women is this. Have your regular Pap smear throughout your adult life. This applies even if you have had the 'anti-HPV' injection when you were a teenager. Why? Because even though these vaccinations are very good, they cannot protect against all strains of the virus.

Finally, concerning 'warning symptoms' of female cancers, for the moment, here is a list of 'red flags' of dangerous symptoms:

Breast cancer: A lump in the breast; or a thickening of the skin of the breast, a change in the shape of the breast or bleeding from the nipple, any discharge from the nipple, or anything else that you think is 'odd' in the breast.

Ovarian cancer: persistent pain in the lower part of the abdomen, unexplained inability to finish your meals.

Womb cancer: Unexplained bleeding from the vagina - particularly after menopause.

Cervical cancer: repeated bleeding between menses; also bleeding after sex.

Cancer of the labia: an unexplained soreness or bleeding on the vaginal lips.

A woman who has any of the above symptoms should see a doctor within a week. That consultation could save your life!


Is she too 'tight'?


QDoctor, I am a man who has been married twice - and divorced. I have several children from both marriages.

Following my second divorce, I have found a wonderful new woman, and I am hoping to marry her!

She is very good in bed, but there is one thing about her that I do understand. When I have sex with her, she is very tight. In fact, sometimes it is a little difficult for me to enter her.

And once I am inside, she seems to somehow 'squeeze' me. This is great, but sometimes it makes me orgasm sooner than I would like. Is there something wrong with her?

Your medical advice, please.

A Well, I hope that this new relationship works out for you both. Take care - with two failed marriages behind you, you must make sure that you don't get things wrong this time!

Now, I think there are two factors going on here:

1. Sounds like your new lover has never had children. That would probably make her a little tighter than your previous wives. Also, she may be a little nervous - and that, too, could make her tighter.

2. From what you say, it may well be that your new partner has discovered the ancient art of 'vaginal muscle flexion.' This technique is supposed to have been known to the ancient Romans, and many sexually knowledgeable women today do it. It simply involves contracting and relaxing the muscles around the vagina during sex. The effect of this is to kind of 'massage' the man's penis during intercourse. This is very pleasant for him, but it does increase the risk that he might discharge too early.

I do not think that there is anything at all wrong with your new girlfriend. But I do feel that the two of you should talk things over as it relates to sex. In particular, you should explain to her that any vaginal contractions which she does, makes you orgasm too soon. Good luck.


Why do I 'squirt'



during a climax?


QI am a woman who has a very embarrassing problem Doc. Sometimes, when I get sexually excited and I climax, I squirt a little bit of fluid.

Is this urine, or what?

A: Well, it may be urine. But on the other hand, it may be a special 'sex fluid' which some women are believed to ejaculate during orgasm.

I am quite sure there is nothing wrong with you. But if at all possible, it might be a good idea to have a check-up from a gynaecologist.


Erection cream


Q I have heard that there is a doctor in Florida who can prescribe a special 'male cream' called Vitaros. Apparently, it can help a man who has lost his nature to get good erections again.

Can you tell me anything about it, Doctor?

AWell, Vitaros is a cream which is intended to help men who have difficulties with erection. It contains a drug called 'alprostadil.' This medication has been used in some form or other for several years to help men get better erections.

The results of trials with Vitaros cream have been quite good, but there have been cases in which the men's partner has reported vaginal stinging caused by the cream.

I presume that you are getting erection problems, so I think that your first move should be to go and get a check-up from a doctor in Jamaica. Take with you a sample of your urine, so that you can be tested for diabetes. It may be that the Doc will suggest some other remedy, such as Viagra or Cialis tablets. I wish you well.


Taking a break from the Pill


QI have now been on the Pill for over eight years. Should I take a break, doctor?

My mother says that when she was younger, her doctor advised her to take a 'Pill-break' every five years.

AIn your mother's time, it was common to take such breaks. But these days, doctors do not usually think that they are necessary.

However, if you are over 30, the fact is that the very slight risks of the Pill to your health are going to increase just a little. So it would be a good idea to talk to your own doctor about the possibility of switching to some other method.