Tue | Jun 2, 2020

Dear Doc | Can I pierce my clitoris?

Published:Monday | February 19, 2018 | 12:00 AM

Q Hello Doc, I am a 22-year-old female and I love sex. My boyfriend wants me to put a ring in my clitoris, as he says it will give me more orgasms. Is this true? I would love that but I am afraid it would damage my clitoris. Do you think it is safe?

A Thank you for your question. Today, body piercing (eyebrows, lips, etc) is very common especially for younger people. Genital piercing is more commonly done overseas, but can be hdone at a few salons locally (check Facebook or the Yellow Pages) or a gynaecologist can do the procedure for you.

The clitoris itself is not usually pierced, but the loose fold of skin (clitoral hood) covering the clitoris.

Piercing the clitoris can lead to scarring, nerve damage, unpleasant hypersensitivity, and is not recommended.

Several surveys in developed countries have shown that piercing the clitoral hood and inserting a jewel increases clitoral stimulation in most sexual positions and, therefore, the woman is more likely to achieve an orgasm.

There are pros and cons with every procedure, and these need to be considered before making a decision.

The procedure is relatively safe when carried out by an experienced certified individual.

There is the possibility that wearing the jewel all the time may cause irritation.


How do I get rid of this 'corn'?


Q Dear Doc, for years I have had this corn on my right big toe. I scraped it with a knife, but it keeps growing back. Because of it I cannot wear shoes (it pains a lot) only slippers. What can I do to get rid of it?

A Sorry to hear about your plight. Did you ever seek medical help for this problem? I hope you are not diabetic or have sickle cell or circulation problems, if you do, sitting at home paring away the 'corn' with a knife will put you at risk for amputation. Please visit your nearest health centre for a basic assessment. The healthcare providers will then guide you from there.


Could I get lock jaw?


Q Dear Doc, I am a 60-year-old farmer, and a nail ran through my water boot and stuck me in my right foot bottom. I ignored it but a friend said it could give me lock jaw, and I need to get an injection. I have been injured by nails a lot before, and I just put black shoe polish on it and burn it and it is OK. Sometimes I rub engine oil on the spot ... and nothing has happened to me so far. I do not like injections, I do not take pills. I have no form of sickness at all, so what do you think about this injection? Should I get it? Do I need to get it every time nail stick me?

A The injection you are referring to is the anti-tetanus injection which helps to prevent lock jaw.

Lock jaw is a symptom of tetanus. Tetanus is a disease caused by a bacteria that can be found in soil, animal faeces, and the rust on metals. The bacteria can survive for a very long time in these environments.

Tetanus can cause death because the muscles of the jaw and those responsible for breathing go into a spasm (contract or 'lock').

The disease is no longer common due to widespread immunisation. Jamaica has a very efficient immunisation programme both in public and private health facilities, so the population should be relatively safe from lock jaw.

The last booster injection is usually given at around 12 to 15 years old. However, the protection from the injection starts to decrease after five years and is virtually nonexistent after 10 years; so every adult should have the anti-tetanus booster injection every 10 years.

Being a farmer, you are at increased risk for lock jaw as you work in the soil and come in contact with animal manure, so yes you should have the injection.

Whenever you get injured, wash the wound with soap, clean water, apply alcohol and visit the nearest health facility the same day. The healthcare providers will assess you each time to see if the injection is required. So, if you have not received the injection in the last five years, you definitely need to have it.

The application of engine oil and black polish to a nail injury is common in some parts of Jamaica. This DOES NOT protect against tetanus, so seek medical attention for these injuries the same day.


No discharge with my orgasm


Q I am 23 years old, and I enjoy sex with my boyfriend. But when I have an orgasm I don't see any discharge coming out of my vagina ... and I've been very concerned about it. Does this mean I'm infertile? Please help.

A Good day to you; the female orgasm is not usually associated with fluid from the genitals like that of a man. Apart from the usual vaginal moisture which increases during foreplay and during sex, the female orgasm is usually 'dry'.

There are, however, a few women who squirt fluid through the urethra (urine tube) and/or vagina when they orgasm. This is known as female ejaculation. There is a lot of controversy regarding the composition of this fluid, and research is still going on in this area.

Female ejaculation is not related to fertility. The fact that you cannot squirt this fluid doesn't mean that you are infertile. Female fertility is related to your ability to produce and release eggs from the ovary (a small organ connected to the womb. There is one on either side of the womb).


How soon should a baby start drinking water?


Q Dear Doc, at what age should my baby start drinking water? My son is four months old, and I am not sure if I should give him water because sometimes his mouth looks so dry. This is my first child so I do not have much experience.

A Apparently, you have missed quite a lot of your pregnancy (antenatal) clinics because these things are usually explained to you by the nurse/midwife or obstetrician, especially for first-time mothers.

Women should visit an antenatal clinic or obstetrician within the first six to eight weeks of pregnancy. This is when you will have important blood tests done and get answers to vital questions.

The World Health Organisation recommends exclusive (only) breast feeding for the first six months. However, in certain situations where the mother is not producing enough milk or is not the primary caregiver, infant formula is used to supplement or replace breast feeding. Breast milk and infant formula contain enough water for the baby's need, so no additional water is necessary during the first six months.

When the infant is six months old, food from the family pot is introduced as well as water.

If your baby's mouth looks dry, you need to take him to the hospital urgently for assessment; especially if he is not tolerating the breast milk as there may be an underlying problem which requires immediate medical attention! Do not sit at home and try to give the baby water ... infants can die very quickly from dehydration, so visit the outpatient department of your nearest hospital and explain to them what has been happening to your baby.