Fri | Oct 18, 2019

Dear Doc | How to remedy 'blue balls'

Published:Sunday | September 30, 2018 | 12:00 AM

Q Dear Doc, I have a serious concern. I am afraid there is something wrong with my penis and it will cause me to not be able to have sex. Every time I am with my girlfriend and we start to do things, I get hard, but then, after a while, I start having pain, really bad pain in my balls, like a cramp. I noticed it a few times but didn't pay it any mind, because it went away on its own, but last time, it lasted hours.

I am a virgin and now I'm worried that something is wrong and I can never have sex. Please help.

A What you are describing is what is commonly known as 'blue balls'. Blue balls, which is medically known as epididymal hypertension, is a relatively common phenomenon. It is not serious and will not cause any long-term damage. It does however, cause pain and aching in the testicles after having an erection without an orgasm. It is also often accompanied by a blueish hue in the testicles; hence the name.

Affected persons will often feel:

- Pain

- Discomfort

- Heaviness

- Aching

Whenever a man is sexually aroused, the blood vessels to the penis and testicles expand, allowing increased blood flow to the area. This increased blood flow to the area causes the penis to expand and stiffen, resulting in an erection. The testicles will also increase in size, causing them to feel heavier.

Typically, this blood is released after an orgasm or as a result of a decreased sexual arousal.

Too much blood may stay in the genital area of some men who become aroused for an extended period without orgasm or decrease sexual arousal. This can cause pain and discomfort. The testicles may even start to turn blue due to the excess blood.

Men are more likely to develop epididymal hypertension if they are easily aroused, or if they practice masturbation techniques that delay orgasm.

The simplest, quickest remedy for blue balls is to ejaculate during an orgasm.

After an orgasm, the pain will go away slowly.

Another quick remedy is to become unaroused. This can be achieved through a variety of ways, including:

- Taking a cold shower.

- Applying an ice pack or other cold substance to the area can result in constriction (narrowing) of the blood vessels. thereby reducing blood flow to the area.

- Thinking of something nonsexual.

- Exercising may help by causing a diversion of the blood flow away from your testicles to other muscles.

Typically, you do not need to see a doctor for epididymal hypertension. If, however, you experience strong, persistent testicular pain not associated with sexual arousal, then you should see your doctor. They can rule out other conditions that may be causing your pain.


Cure for a heat rash


Q Dear Doc, five weeks ago, I gave birth to the most beautiful baby with smooth, clean and pretty skin. Now there are bumps all over his face and neck. I changed the soap, oiled him up, bathed him in cerasee, and still, my baby's skin cannot come back. Do you think its the breast milk that he's allergic to?

A I understand your concern, however, I can assure you it isn't the breast milk causing this. It sounds very much as though your baby has got what is commonly called a 'heat rash'.

A heat rash is a skin rash that happens when a person is hot or sweating a lot.

Anyone can get a heat rash, but it is most commonly seen in young children, especially young babies.

The rash looks like a cluster of tiny bubbles under the skin or like small pimples. It is often seen on the head, face, neck, chest, or places where the skin rubs together like the armpit.

The most important thing you can do is try to reduce how much the baby is sweating. Keep baby in a cool, dry environment. Give baby cool baths, or use a clean rag dipped in cold water to cool the areas with the rash. Allow baby's skin to breathe and dress him in loose, cool clothing.

Do not use the oil! It will only make the baby sweat more.

There is no medication for heat rash, and the best treatment is to stay cool and dry.

If however, there is no improvement, kindly visit your paediatrician and have them take a look at the rash.