Mon | Oct 22, 2018

Mullings stops Anderson in two

Published:Friday | March 25, 2011 | 12:00 AM
Sakima Mullings

Leroy Brown, Gleaner Writer

Sakima Mullings booked his place in the semi-finals of the Wray and Nephew Contender series on Wednesday night with a second-round technical knockout victory over Martin Anderson. Starting an overwhelming favourite, Mullings hardly worked up a sweat, and after a tentative first round, he unleashed a barrage of punches that put Anderson on the canvas, and the fight was called off after one minute and 37 seconds of round two had elapsed.

The made-for-television boxing series, which is broadcast live on Wednesdays on TVJ, is approved by the Jamaica Boxing Board of Control, promoted by MJK Productions and sponsored by J. Wray and Nephew, Claro, TVJ and Foska Oats. The semi-finals start on April 6, with Tsetsi Davis meeting Devon Moncrieffe.

Mullings, who is seeded No. 2 in the competition behind another crowd-favourite, Tsetsi Davis, had a lot of support on Wednesday, and as he entered the ring there was thunderous applause from his hundreds of followers. After the dramatic walk to the ring, there were the histrionics inside the ring, which were clearly designed to intimidate his opponent. It worked, as Anderson who, in build and stature, is small compared to the muscular Mullings, looked nervous as they waited for the opening bell.

Both men were tentative at the start and it took some time before the first punch was thrown. This came from Anderson, and he missed, but shortly afterwards, he landed a jab to the body to open his account. Mullings kept stalking his man, looking for possible openings and ducked inside some wild punches from Anderson. Both men kept doing a slow dance around the ring, until Anderson moved in quickly and landed two left jabs and a right hook.

Mullings smiled at the audacity of his opponent and then scored with a few jabs and dug a couple of hooks to his opponent's body. There was a brisk exchange near the bell, and Mullings again landed a couple of body blows that gave an indication as to where future attacks would be directed.

Crunch time

As the second round started, Mullings came out of cruise control and started to look busy. He moved forward menacingly to engage Anderson, and jabs to the head and hooks to the body served notice that it was now crunch time. Anderson was soon in trouble and tried to fight back, but Mullings had too much firepower for him, and after a minute had elapsed the final attack came.

Mullings moved close to his man and unleashed a brisk head and body attack. He missed with a right cross, which ended up with his forearm across the back of Anderson's head, and this was followed up by a devastating combination of punches that saw Anderson hitting the canvas, and the crowd erupted. Referee Ransford Burton counted to eight then inexplicably stopped. Anderson then stood up with his left hand behind his head as if complaining about a blow to the back of his head. Burton then had a brief discussion with him before calling a halt to the proceedings, giving Mullings a technical knockout victory.

In the amateur bouts, Stanley Couch Gym ended up with two victories, as middleweight Jonathan Hanson outpointed Michael Holmes from Bruising Gym, and super-heavyweight Dukey Rowe had a first round victory over Richard Walker, who suffered a nosebleed and could not continue.