Eleven Jamaicans for Birmingham meet
ELEVEN Jamaicans, including Commonwealth Games champions - sprinters Kemar Bailey-Cole and Raheed Dwyer, triple jumper Kimberly Williams and hurdler Kaliese Spencer - are down to compete in today's Birmingham Diamond League meet.
Bailey-Cole, the Commonwealth 100m champion, will face compatriot Nesta Carter who won the event at the DN Galan Diamond League meet in Stockholm, Sweden last Thursday.
Dwyer, the Commonwealth 200-metre gold medallist, Nickel Ashmeade and Jason Livermore will line up in the men's half-lap event.
Spencer has an unassailable 18 points in the 400-metre hurdles and her main rivals today will be England's Eilidh Child and Americans Kori Carter and Georganne Moline.
A fairly strong field will line up for the women's 100 metres. Jamaicans Schillonie Calvert, Samantha Henry-Robinson and Kerron Stewart will run in heat two while Americans Carmelita Jeter, Allyson Felix and English Gardner are in heat two. The final will be run at 9:33 a.m.
Also in action today will be 400-metre runner Shericka Williams who won silver medals at the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008 and the Berlin World Championships in 2009, but has been searching for her best form in recent years.
Schedule for Jamaican athletes
- 8 a.m: Women's triple jump - Kimberly Williams
- 8:15 a.m: Women's 100m heat 2 - Schillonie Calvert, Kerron Stewart, Samantha Henry-Robinson
- 8:25 a.m: Women's 400m - Shericka Williams
- 8:48 a.m: Men's 100m - Kemar Bailey-Cole, Nesta Carter
- 9:14 a.m: Women's 400m hurdles - Kaliese Spencer
- 9:24 a.m: Men's 200m - Nickel Ashmeade, Rasheed Dwyer, Jason Livermore