Sat | Mar 28, 2020

Tivoli, Denham Town in exciting draw

Published:Sunday | September 14, 2014 | 12:00 AMRobert Bailey
AP Chelsea's Diego Costa celebrates scoring his side's second goal against Swansea City, during their English Premier League football match at Stamford Bridge, London, yesterday.

Former champions Tivoli Gardens were held to an exciting 2-2 draw by neighbours Denham Town in their Group C encounter of the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/LIME Manning Cup football competition, at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex yesterday.

Orlando Wade (11th) and Daniel Green (81st) were the goalscorers for the Dave Clarke-coached Tivoli. Tarrique Campbell (17th) and Tajay Cunningham (30th) netted the goals for Denham Town.

In the group?s other games, Innswood defeated Edith Dalton James 2-0 and St Mary?s College stopped Ardenne 3-0.

Innswood now lead the group standings with nine points from three matches. They are followed by Denham Town (seven), Tivoli (four), St Mary?s College and Ardenne on (three) points each and Edith Dalton James on zero.

better team

Clarke said he was very happy with his team?s performance.

?This draw is more like a win to us because Denham Town man to man is a better team than us,? said Clarke.

?However, what we did is that we cut out their top player and once we cut out that player we took charge of the game and we should have actually won, but I am satisfied with the one point,? Clarke said.

On the other hand, Earl Bennett, coach of Denham Town, was very disappointed with his team?s efforts.

?It was a fair game, but I believe that we should have gotten the victory,? said Bennett.

?I think that we sat back too much in the latter part of the game, hence we gave up a very sure goal,? he said.

Bennett continued: ?We lost the game from the midfield because we allowed them too much room to play and they took advantage of this and scored on us.?

Wade gave Tivoli the lead when he latched on to a well-measured cross from Rohan Wade inside the penalty box, then calmly slotted home from 10 yards past goalkeeper Brian Bennett.

However, Campbell equalised for Denham Town six minutes later, when he popped up at the near post to head home a corner kick past custodian Marcel Christopher.

Denham Town took command for the remainder of the first half and Cunningham sent them further ahead with a rasping 30-yard shot, which went right through the hands of Christopher.

Tivoli started the second period confidently, as they outplayed their opponents in all parts of the field. They were finally rewarded when the diminutive Green headed home from point-blank range past Bennett.