Sun | Apr 5, 2020

Hot St George's burn KC

Published:Sunday | September 21, 2014 | 12:00 AMRobert Bailey
Jermaine Barnaby/Photographer Shevon Stewart (left) slamming home St George's College's second goal in the ISSA/LIME Manning Cup Group A match at Kingston College yesterday. Looking on at right is Kingston College's Sean Mitchell Morgan. St George's won 3-0.

St George's College whipped North Street rivals Kingston College (KC) 3-0 in their Group A top-of-the-table clash in the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/LIME Manning Cup competition at Clovelly Park yesterday.

Akeem Prawl (sixth), Shevon Stewart (43rd), and Amoy Brown (80th) were the scorers for the Neville 'Bertis' Bell-coached St George's. In the group's other game, Waterford blanked Campion College 4-1.

The victory moved the 'Light Blues' to 12 points, three ahead of KC. They are followed by Waterford (six), JosÈ Marti (three), and Campion (zero).

Bell said he was delighted with his team's performance.

"It is a big victory for us," said Bell. "Kingston College against St George's College is always a tough game, but we came and we wanted some points, and we got it, and so we can't complain," he said.

Lenworth 'Teacher' Hyde, coach of KC, was very dissatisfied with his team's efforts.

"I think when you lose 3-0, it is very disappointing," said Hyde. "But it is a work in progress and we just have to keep working with the youths.

"We didn't start well and we gave up an early goal and we didn't keep our composure because we were all over the field throughout the entire game," he said.

Prawl stunned the home fans early in the game when he arrived at the back post to head Jahmarley Thomas' pin-point cross past custodian Shaquille Graham.

The fleet-footed Prawl came close to doubling St George's lead five minutes later, but his weak effort from 12 yards was saved by Graham.

The Georgians outplayed their opponents for the remainder of the first stanza before Stewart doubled their lead two minutes from half-time.

The speedy Stewart collected a pass in midfield then turned away from KC's defenders to slam a powerful right-footed shot past Graham.

KC failed to create any meaningful scoring opportunities in the second period as a very organised St George's kept them at bay. The Georgians, who were very confident on the ball, created a number of clear-cut chances in the early exchanges, but they failed to put them away.

Brown sealed the issue for his team 10 minutes from time when his powerful right-footed volley went like a rocket past Graham.