Tue | Aug 22, 2017

more sports in brief - Breese rallies Durham, Nash fails

Published:Wednesday | September 24, 2014 | 9:00 AM
tyson

LONDON (CMC): Gareth Breese played a crucial role in a lower order revival for Durham, while former West Indies vice-captain Brendan Nash failed with the bat for Kent, on the opening day of the final series of matches in the English County Championship. Playing at Edgbaston, Durham were dismissed for a disappointing 201 after choosing to bat first against Warwickshire. At one stage, they were reeling at 78 for six until Breese, who struck 26, and Ryan Pringle, came together to rally the lower order in an important 43-run, seventh-wicket stand.

The right-handed Breese, a former Jamaica and West Indies player, faced 102 balls and batted nearly 21/4 hours, striking two fours. Pringle, who top-scored with an unbeaten 63, played freely to count 10 fours off just 98 balls.

The 38-year-old Breese leaves Durham at the end of the season following a ten-year career with the county.

Warwickshire were making a strong reply at the close, ending on 77 for one.

At St Lawrence Ground in Canterbury, Nash managed just 15 as Kent reached 83 for four in response to Gloucestershire's 179 all out.

New Company to run Red Force

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC): A new company has been formed to run the affairs of Trinidad and Tobago cricket under the new franchise system soon to be introduced by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB). Red Force Trinidad and Tobago limited is the trading name of the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board president Azim Bassarath has announced.

The WICB has instructed its six territorial boards to form companies to run the affairs of the teams as part of restructuring.

"We have the six officers of the board who will run the company. We have intentions of bringing in skilled persons, an attorney and an accountant," Bassarath told the Express.

Tyson aids motorcyclist after crash

LAS VEGAS (AP): Retired boxer Mike Tyson may be famous for his aggressiveness, but he showed his compassionate side last week when he came to the rescue of an injured motorcyclist who had crashed on a Las Vegas interstate. Attorney Stephen Stubbs said his client, 29-year-old Ryan Chesley, was on Interstate 15 in Las Vegas at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday when a taxi cut him off and he went down. Stubbs said Chesley was lying on the ground when he looked up and recognised Tyson, who was yelling at people not to touch Chesley.

"He thought he was hallucinating," Stubbs said. "He thought he was in some other world."

Chesley, who had broken bones and torn ligaments, could still use his right hand and snapped a cellphone picture of the heavyweight boxer. As soon as paramedics arrived, Tyson "just left like some kind of superhero", Stubbs said.

Mike Tyson's assistant, Steve Lott, said the fighter received a fruit basket with a handwritten thank-you note from Chesley on Friday.