Tue | Oct 17, 2017

Tridents beaten but not disgraced - Haynes

Published:Monday | September 29, 2014 | 12:00 AM
West Indies women's cricketer Anisa Mohammed (right) is presented with her Player-of-the-Match award by West Indies Legend, former Test opening batsman Desmond Haynes, following the first match of the women's Twenty20 International Tri-Series, last Monday night at Kensington Oval in Barbados. Mohammed took five for 12. Haynes/WICB Media Photo

MOHALI, India (CMC): Head coach Desmond Haynes believes Barbados Tridents have done themselves and the entire Caribbean proud despite their elimination from the ongoing Champions League Twenty20 tournament in India.

The Barbados-based outfit - who represented the region after winning the Caribbean Premier League - suffered their third straight defeat against Hobart Hurricanes yesterday at the PCA Stadium, but Haynes said they were not outplayed nor disgraced.

"One thing we demonstrated here in this tournament was to show the world that we are good enough and West Indies cricket is on the up," Haynes told reporters after the game.

"We showed the people around the world, especially here in India, that we can play and we can play well. Very few people expected us to be as competitive as we have been. I will repeat, that I believe West Indies cricket, especially in this format is pretty strong."

Barbados suffered close defeats to King's XI Punjab and South Africa's Cape Cobras in their first two matches. Yesterday they went under by six wickets to Hobart Hurricanes. They will play their final match against Northern Knights of New Zealand tomorrow in Bangalore.

"In the first two games we came up short by about 10 to 20 runs ... the wickets for those games the wicket was much better than tonight ... I found the ball was holding up a bit in this match, but we didn't bat well today and that basically cost us the match."

IMPRESSED

Haynes said he was extremely impressed by the batting of left-hander Jonathan Carter, the left-hander who made a brilliant 111 not out against the Cape Cobras and followed up with a stroke-filled 42 off 34 balls against the Australians.

He has played for the West Indies A team and has been on the verge of selection to the senior West Indies side for some time.

"When we selected Jonathan for the Barbados Tridents last year we identified him as someone who could keep wicket, bowl a bit of medium pace and is a very good player of spin," the legendary former West Indies opener said.

"Back in Barbados he is considered one of the most talented cricketers that we have at home so I was very impressed by the way he handled himself on the big stage. We always wanted him to believe in himself.