Mon | Sep 24, 2018

JC, Hydel advance

Published:Saturday | October 11, 2014 | 12:00 AM
Jamaica College's captain Junior Flemmings (left) celebrates one of his goals with teammates Rafique Bryan (42) and Ronaldo Brown during the Walker Cup KO quarter-final match at the Constant Spring Sports Complex yesterday. JC whipped Holy Trinity High 4-0. - Gladstone Taylor/Photographer

Robert Bailey, Gleaner Writer

Jamaica College (JC) and Hydel High secured their spots in the semi-finals of the ISSA/LIME Walker Cup Knockout Competition, following contrasting victories yesterday at the Constant Spring Sports Complex.

JC thrashed Holy Trinity 4-0 in the feature game of the double-header while Hydel edged Denham Town High 2-1 to book their place in the last four of the competition.

Stephen Barnett (18th) and national Under-17 representative Nicholas Nelson (53rd) were the scorers for Hydel. Howard Williams netted a consolation goal for Denham Town in the 90th minutes.

Hydel's coach Donovan Hayles was delighted with his team's efforts.

"Football is about moments and Denham Town had their moments and they didn't make use of them, and we made use of ours by scoring two goals," said Hayles.

"I must applaud my team because I think we played some good football, much better than we did in the first round of the Manning Cup," he said.


In the feature contest, JC were led to victory courtesy of a double from former national Under-17 captain Junior Flemmings. The prolific striker netted his goals in the 43rd and 81st minutes, respectively.

Rolando Brown (33rd) and Rafique Bryan (90th) were the other scorers for the Miguel Coley-coached JC. Ian Forbes, manager of JC, was satisfied with his team's win.

"I think it was a reasonably good performance from us," said Forbes. "I think it was a bit below par because we still have some things that we need to work on, but all in all, it was a workman-like performance from us."

Devon Anderson, coach of Holy Trinity, was gracious in defeat.

"I must give credit to JC because it was a good performance from them," said Anderson.

"However, we created a number of clear chances in the second half, but our forwards failed to score and this has been hampering us all season," he said.

JC started the game confidently and took the lead when Brown fired home a powerful right-footed shot past the Holy Trinity's goalkeeper Oneil Moore. Flemmings doubled JC's lead two minutes before half-time when he arrived at the near post to tap home a well-measured pass from Leron Sewell.

Holy Trinity created several clear-cut chances in the opening minutes of the second half, but poor finishing let them down.

However, JC took charge of the game midway the stanza and Flemmings increased their advantage with a well taken volley nine minutes from time.