Wed | Oct 28, 2020

Charlie dethrone Wolmer's

Published:Saturday | October 11, 2014 | 7:22 PMRobert Bailey
Gladstone Taylor / Photographer Charlie Smith's captain Odane Samuels (right) celebrates with supporters after scoring his team's equaliser against Wolmer's Boys in the ISSA/LIME Walker Cup KO quarter-final at the Constant Spring Sports Complex yesterday.

Defending champions Wolmer's Boys were sent packing from this year's ISSA/LIME Walker Cup Knockout competition, this after they were beaten 2-1 by Charlie Smith High in the quarter-finals yesterday.

In the opening game of the double-header at the Constant Spring Sports Complex, St George's College also booked a semi-final berth with an exciting 4-2 victory over Camperdown.

Charlie Smith had to pull out all the stops in the feature encounter to record a hard-fought 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Wolmer's.

Captain Odane Samuels (44th) and star striker Bebeto McDonald (45th) netted the goals for the Jerome Waite-coached Charlie Smith. Joel Pagon scored for Wolmer's in the 40th minute.

Waite praised his players for a fine display.

"We stepped it up a notch and my players delivered on all fronts," said Waite.

Ludlow Bernard, coach of Wolmer's, said his players took too long to settle.

"... As a result of that Charlie Smith took the initiative from early," said Bernard. "We made glaring errors in our defence and that really cost us," he said.

Both teams started the match very confidently as they battled for the ball on every possession. However, Wolmer's took the lead when Pagon's 20-yard shot went like a rocket past goalkeeper Leon Taylor. Charlie Smith fought back gallantly as they had the Wolmer's team on the backfoot for the remainder of the first half.

Samuels netted the equaliser when his long-range effort went right through the hands of custodian Dane Lee and into the back of the net.

McDonald doubled Charlie Smith's lead on the stroke of half times he dribbled around two Wolmer's defenders inside the penalty box to fire home a powerful shot from 10 yards.


Wolmer's dominated much of the second half but they were kept at bay by solid defending from a well organised Charlie Smith defensive unit, led by Samuels, who kept ace striker Jaheel Hyde in check for most of the game.

The Neville Bell-coached St George's were led to victory courtesy of a double from striker Shevon Stewart in the first game. Stewart scored in the 18th and 45th minutes. Amoy Brown (17th) and Gregory Messam Jr (89th) were the other scorers for the 'Light Blues'.

Kevin Clarke (44th) and Ramiesh McKnight (89th) netted the goals for the Christopher Bender-coached Camperdown, who ended the match with 10 players after Prince McGilvery was sent off in the 80th minute.

"I thought we played well," coach Bell said after the game. "Camperdown pushed us hard because they are a pretty decent team and I congratulate them."