More Sports in Brief - Davydenko quits tennis
Davydenko quits tennis
Former third-ranked player Nikolay Davydenko has confirmed his retirement from tennis.
Davydenko has not played on the ATP tour since the French Open in May and made his announcement on the sidelines of the Kremlin Cup tournament in Moscow yesterday.
The 33-year-old Russian said a series of injuries in recent years prompted him to retire. He said the injuries "still disturb me and it's hard to fight them," and that he can't produce "a good result anymore."
Davydenko won 21 tour titles and the 2009 ATP finals, but never managed to reach the final of a Grand Slam tournament despite being a four-time semi-finalist.
He was investigated over match-fixing claims in 2007 by the ATP, but was cleared the following year.
Top seeds crash out at Kremlin Cup
The top seeds crashed out at the Kremlin Cup as Milos Raonic and Dominika Cibulková lost to qualifiers yesterday.
Raonic of Canada, who had a bye into the second round, was eliminated by Ricardas Berankis of Lithuania 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
Not long after, an out-of-sorts Cibulková was eliminated by a tenacious Vitalia Diatchenko of Russia 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.
Raonic's loss put him in danger of failing to qualify for the ATP Finals in London next month. He blamed the defeat on illness.
"I was sick for the last 10 days, so I was in bed the whole time, and I only was able to prepare the last two days," he said.
Morocco remains hosts
RABAT, Morocco (AP):
Morocco's minister of information has denied reports that his country has withdrawn as host of next year's African Cup of Nations because of the deadly Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
But Mustapha Khalfi, who is also the government spokesman, says Morocco still wants the tournament postponed, forcing a conflict with organisers.
The Confederation of African Football insists the January 17-February 8 event must go ahead as planned.
CAF has apparently reached out to at least two other countries to ask if they would step in at short notice if Morocco refuses to host on the original dates.
Ghana's sports minister said on his official Facebook page that his country had been approached. CAF also asked South Africa to be on standby, according to a letter published in the South African media.
85 school bowlers with suspect action
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP):
Sri Lanka has identified 85 school cricketers bowling with suspected illegal actions in its campaign to clean up the cradle of the sport in the country.
The bowlers include 60 spinners and 25 seamers, Sri Lanka Cricket said in a statement yesterady.
Sri Lanka boasts of a strong schools cricket structure, with many players entering the national team direct from school, with little or no first-class experience.
The campaign to clean up bowling comes amid tough action by the International Cricket Council to eliminate illegal bowling on the international stage.
Off-spinners suspended in recent months include Pakistan star Saeed Ajmal, Sri Lanka's Sachithra Senanayake, New Zealand's Kane Williamson, Zimbabwe's Prosper Utseya, and Bangladesh's Sohag Gazi.