Tue | Aug 4, 2020

Holy Trinity continue to surprise in Super Cup

Published:Saturday | October 25, 2014 | 6:08 PMRobert Bailey

Holy Trinity continues to surprise this season, turning in a scintillating performance to thrash Garvey Maceo 4-0 and secure their place in the semi-finals of the LIME Super Cup knock-out competition at the National Stadium yesterday.

Reigning Manning Cup champions Jamaica College also booked their place in the last four with a 2-1 victory over Hydel at Sabina Park. Jaheel Hyde's brace did the damage as Wolmer's came out 3-0 victors over fellow heavyweights St George's College at the National Stadium.

St Elizabeth Technical and Camperdown were locked at 1-1 in their contest at Sabina Park at press time.

In the National Stadium curtain raiser, Holy Trinity, who last week got rid of Clarendon College, were led to victory courtesy of a brace from substitute AndrÈ Leslie, who got his goals in the 66th and 81st minutes.

Joel Sterling (71st) and Tevin Rochester (32nd penalty) were the other goal scorers for the Devon Anderson-coached Holy Trinity.

Garvey Maceo ended the game with eight men with Marvin

Smith (44th), Ryan Scott (77th), and Roshane Sharpe (87th) all sent off by the referee.

Anderson was obviously delighted with his team's performance.

"We lost a game on Tuesday to Jamaica College and I was very upset, and so we went back to the drawing board and they (the players) came out and executed, and so hats off to my players," said Anderson.

Anderson added: "We watched some tapes of Garvey Maceo and I know that they are a good team and we did some work on the training ground, but I expected this victory."

Holy Trinity started the match very confidently with a barrage of long-range shots on Garvey Maceo's goal, which was well saved by their custodian Steven Wallace.

However, Krimo Dyer came close to giving Garvey Maceo the lead in the 25th minute, but his powerful shot from 10 yards went wide of the target.

Rochester ensured he would regret that missed opportunity, firing Holy Trinity into the lead from the penalty spot, this after Jevon Fuller was brought down inside the 18-yard box by Kirk Colloghen.

Leslie doubled their lead when his 25-yard free kick went right through the hands of Watson. Sterling then added to Garvey Maceo's woes as he arrived at the back post to head home from close range before Leslie wrapped up the win with a rebound.