Wed | Jan 23, 2019

Holy Trinity stun Wolmer's - Giant killers to meet JC in final

Published:Sunday | November 2, 2014 | 12:00 AM
Looking ahead to the final, Coley said:

Robert Bailey, Gleaner Writer

Giant killers Holy Trinity pulled off another huge upset in the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/LIME Super Cup knockout schoolboy football competition by beating the highly fancied Wolmer's Boys' 1-0 in yesterday's semi-final at the National Stadium.

Joel Sterling netted the lone goal for the Devon Anderson-coached Holy Trinity in the 11th minute, which had previously registered victories over Clarendon College and Garvey Maceo on their way to the final.

Holy Trinity will face reigning Manning Cup champions Jamaica College (JC) in this year's final of the competition.

JC defeated daCosta Cup champions St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) 3-1 in their feature semi-final encounter.

Junior Flemmings (26th, penalty), Sheldon McKoy (37th) and Aquin Robinson (86th) were the scorers for JC. Rushane McClymont scored the consolation goal for STETHS in the 78th minute.

Anderson said he was very delighted with his team's performance because they had to work very hard to win the game.

"It was a hard-fought game from us. It was a never say die attitude from us, this Holy Trinity team," said Anderson.

"I am very proud of my boys because now that we are in the final, it gives us a great opportunity to win and I know that we are going to win this cup for the entire school community," Anderson added.

Long-range shots

In the feature encounter, JC dominated the early exchanges and fired a barrage of shots from long range by Flemmings, Rafique Bryan and Donovan Dawkins, which sailed wide of the STETHS goal.

The 'Dark Blues' were finally rewarded for their dominance as they were awarded a penalty after Dawkins was brought down inside the 18-yard box by Nickalous Gayle..

Flemmings then stepped up to fire home from the spot past custodian Carson Findlay

Bryan came close to doubling JC's lead a few minutes later, but his close range header from Flemmings' corner kick went over the crossbar.

McKoy then doubled his team's advantage eight minutes before half-time, when he rose above two STETHS defenders to head home a corner kick from Flemmings, beating Findlay at his near post.

STETHS' best scoring chance fell at the feet of striker Donjay Smith on the stroke of half-time, but his weak effort was saved by goalkeeper Courtney Dowdie.

STETHS came out pressing in the second half, but they were kept at bay by solid defending from a well-organised JC unit.

Despite this, McClymont gave his team a glimmer of hope when he fired home a free kick from 25 yards that went along the ground and through the wall.

However, substitute Robinson sealed the victory off another JC corner kick, when he pounced on a loose ball inside the box and guided it past Findlay.

"I think that it was a very efficient and hard-working performance from us," said JC's coach, Miguel Coley. "We were very smart on the pitch because we started the game pressing STETHS as we know that they play a midway game also, but in the end, I thought we were the much fitter team and that enabled us to win the game."